Where to Sit in Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by MississippiJugHead, Aug 9, 2006.

1. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/7244-basecamp.jpg

I have attached a picture of the boat I use so you can get an idea of my situation. When we are using the outboard to move about on the river where should we be sitting if there are two people in the boat? My wife has been sitting in the front seat but I am not sure if that seat is just for use when you are sitting still or if it is OK to sit there when you are in motion. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It seems ok place to sit. I would have the second person move back to the middle seat for safety and the boat will plane better. Just my opinion.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I agree with the Desperado. With the weight in the front it would hold it down somewhat. With someone in the middle it would tend to raise the front end and would not ride as deep.

4. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did had her move back but she does miss her backrest. However, the other day the river was pretty choppy and I moved her to the front in an effort to level out the boat and perhaps smooth out the ride. Was that a mistake?

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Not sure but I believe there is a law in Mo. about riding in front seat while underway. Believe your knees are supposed to be below the sides of boat to ride there. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My thoughts are that the front seat would be okay, even if underway. Check out the label on the seat, or similar seats at Academy, Bass Pro, Cabela's etc, to see if there are precautionary labels warningh against using them while underway. Similar seats in bass boats, mounted on one upright pole, are not to be used while underway. I believe because this seat is fasten to the aluminium seat in the boat, it would be safe to use. As the operator of the boat, you are over all responsible for the safe operation of the boat. One of the major things you have to watch for is freeboard - the distance from the water to the top of the gunnels (side) of the boat. Position your weight to where you have the greatest all round clearance. Also, if the weight is in the front of the boat, watch out for the porposeing effect so the bow of the boat does not dip below the water. Puts a big damp on the outing, your equipment, and possibly your life.

7. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    Here's what I found online about passengers in boats. From your picture it doesn't look like you're in violation but you may want to contact the water patrol for sure.

Anyway heres what I found:
    Riding on Bow, Deck, or Gunwale

Allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs, seats on raised decks, or any other place where there may be a chance of falling overboard is prohibited unless the vessel has adequate guards or railing. Guards or railings must be at least 6 inches high (not to exceed 18 inches in height) to be considered adequate.

taken from http://www.boat-ed.com/mo/handbook/oper.htm#riding

you may contact the Missouri Water Patrol at 573-751-3333.

hope this helps.

Greg

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Well that sure ain't no bass boat and it sure is a seat you got there. Why not sit on it? You can't both sit in back you could sink your lil boat doing that. You will get on plane better with even weight distribution not with everyone sitting in the back.

9. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just my .02 worth, but I would think that how you have your outboard trimmed is what is going to determine the way you distribute the weight. I.E. tipping prop under stern brings bow down, tipping prop away from stern brings bow up. You should be able to level the boat (within reason) regardless of distribution.

10. Trueblue

Trueblue New Member

State:
    California
    I'm a ner boater and did not no tipping prop under stern brings bow down
    thanks

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Looking at the picture of your boat i would say the middle seat the boat would plan better:big_smile: