Where to set up a trotline

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by vetrock, May 12, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I am going to set up a trotline along a bridge's pillions. The river has a fairly long stretch here and the depth is consistent. The current is relatively strong. I consistently catch perch and crappie here, but have never catfished. I think I may find a good flathead here.

Would you put the trotline so that the hooks are on the up side of the rivers pillions or would you put them on the down river side?

Also, I will set one at a felled tree. We have put the trotline on the down river side in the past, and consistently catch them at the edge of the tree, but none from the bank to the tree's end where there is no current. Would there be an advantage of laying the line up current above the tree?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If you are going to set a trot line. Please make sure that it is well marked and that it does not cross the entire river so that boats can go get past. I try to parallel the bank with my lines, as far from boat trafic as possible. If you have a area with heacy structure ( two clumps of trees, far apart) this is an ideal place for the line. Good luck

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    putting it on the upside may snatch cats moving down stream to the next hole. worth a shot.:wink:

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    also if you set it above the pilons, the vibration and scent of the bait strugglin will get to cats holding in the current break of the structure. let us know how you do!

5. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    setting parrall to the bank how far you get out????

most of the places i set it are the outside bends of the creeks (mostly 50-75 ft wide) in bout 7-15 ft water... most are between trees i find or tree and one on the bank, marked within 10 ft of BOTH ends and about every 20-25 ft throught the whole line, I make sure it is WELL MARKED, still had it cut one time but retied it and went on with it

6. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    It's a fairly small river. It usually 30 yards or so across it, and anywhere from 6-25 ft deep. The river bridge is in one of the deeper parts. I have always went across the river from bank to bank and put the trotlines on the bottom. Thats pretty standard there amongst the trotliners.

The trotlines are not marked at all. Too many people will try to run them. I do have my ID on them, but I intentionally hide them.

What I gather so far is that I should put my line on the upriver side of the pilons.

More opinions are appreciated.

7. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have had my lines checked for me multiple times. I also do my best to hide them but I usually sink them deep enough that a boat shouldnt have any problems getting over them.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I ran trotlines regularly, if I didn't do a good job of hiding it, other 'helpful' folks would run it for me; unhelpful ones would steal it. I always tied my lines off below the water level and rigged them so they would immediately drop down at least 6' below the surface, usually deeper than that.

9. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    question for all the "hiders"

when you hide your line what do you do if it gets cut??? i understand someone else runnin it, round here ya get shot for that.... dont you think about anyone else fishin around there that might hook it as it is not marked??

i try to set mine back in creeks where most people dont venture too narrow and or shallow for them, dont catch as many but dont have to worry bout ppls running them

best place i found to mark it and NOT get run is in a residental area where one side is brush and the other is houses, most will tell you if you have someone else running it and most are helpful with info on what they been usin and how they been doin, helps too if you got some extra shad you toss them some for their poles and they more then willin to help keep eye out for wrong doers

10. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    There aren't many bass fisherman in our river, so it doenst happen often. I can say, i've never had one cut. knock on wood.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I'm tying onto a stickup or stump, I reach underwater as far as possible to tie on my line. If I'm running my line out from riprap, I try to find a suitable rock just underwater and tie onto it. I never use a float on the surface. If I need a float to lift the line off the bottom, I use a small soda bottle, and maybe even fill it halfway with bottom, then tie it so that it can't reach the surface. You can check the library for diagrams of some of the main ways I set my lines.