where to place jugs in a river

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Riprap, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    ok folks I need some advice, I have never fished jugs on a river such as the arkansas, where do you put your jugs out on big rivers,:roll_eyes:

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    hey rip ............. try the misipy for jug fishing .......... some of the best fun u can ever have !!!! 3 to 6 ft drops with a good piece of skipjack or shad ... find a long sandbar , look at the current on the bouys to get an idea how they are gonna float ..... drop them out from 15 ft deep out to 20 ft deep and float and watch ...... rebait with fresh bait every hour and a half ...............

3. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    hey coach thanks for the info i will have to try the ole miss, i may get to go this sat, we'll see

4. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    what i like to do when fishing jugs whether it be a small lake or a small river or large lakes and rivers i always set the jugs along bends and in large holes behind log jams and riprap depending on what is there but most of the time i fish weightless jugs so it can be difficult to find them at times lol fishing a larger body of water you may want to use weighted jugs with extra line on the jug just in case the river rises so that way the river doesnt rise so much that you cant find your jugline use whatever is natural to the area bluegill shad skips crappie where legal crawfish and one of my favorite baits are fathead minnows they seem to be great at finding the big fish

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would place them on the end of my rod and reel line, and use them for a bobber:smile2::roll_eyes::wink:

I would!!!!!!:crazy: :tounge_out::smile2: rollo

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I mostly jug the Arkansas River, and that's about the biggest river my method would work on. I pick the section of the river I want to jug, then motor slowly from one side of the river to the other, dropping a jug every 50' to 100'; when I get to the other side, if I've still got jugs, I move upstream about 100 yards, and start back across, dropping jugs as before. Then I just let the jugs float downstream. But it's a constant battle to pick up the jugs that have gotten stranded in an eddy, or gotten hung up, then take them to the front of the pack and drop them off again. With this method, there's no kicking back and watching the jugs; I have to constantly run up and down the river checking on my jugs. I can't say it's a relaxing way to jugfish, but it is productive.

7. Riprap

Riprap New Member

State:
    Monticello
    Thanks for the info Jerry, I will try that in the near future on the ark
    near pendelton. I will let you know how it works for me.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck ! there is a thread on here that mentions anchored jugs . I free float mine . I imagine the rivers you are fishing are MUCH bigger than I but the info you need is showing up . If looking for more info there might be something in the boc library .

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lance, the Arkansas and Tennessee Rivers are similar in size.