Where to net some bait?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Nate_Evans, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    Anybody know where I can net some shad or perch in the Potomac or Rappahanock rivers? I have a cast net and have had success catching threadfin in the Occoquan resevior but haven't been able to find bait in the rivers. Thanks for the help.

Nate

2. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    you can alway fine shad or skip jack in the spillways( bottom of the dams). thats my geuss

3. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I dont know much about the rapp. havent fished there in years. On the potomac I usually put in at Leesylvania and catch shad right outside the breakwater just watch for them flipping anywhere on that big flat. If I put in at pohick the mouth of pohick bay is loaded with them.

4. madcatter

madcatter New Member

State:
    West Virgina
    If you go to the Rapp, you can put in at Hick's landing, it's on route 17 about 4 miles before you get to 301. You can pay at the little store Shell or Texaco. Follow the gravel road about 2 miles to the river. You can try the flats across from the landing and the mouth of a creek up stream a little . If you go down stream go past the first hard left and try the flats on the right side. If you take route 17 to route 301 and turn left at the light and go about 1 mile you will hit the river. On the left side just before the bridge is Port Royal Fish House. They sell bait and have a ramp. The flats just above the bridge is good at times.

5. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If your going soon the flats around hicks are loaded with white perch 4-6" long. Catching about a dozen per throw with the occassional shad mixed in. I did pretty decent on white perch last time out.

6. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    Thanks all. I'll have to try Hick's. Fished out of Little Falls on Saturday and only caught a dink (2 lbs.) on shad in about 30' of water.

7. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Little falls is ok if you don't mind running down river 10-15 miles. I haven't had much luck with bait there this late in the year.The bite has been slow on the Rapp lately. I have been fishing salt water to pass the time. If you want some decent action try hitting it up out of hicks in late December.