Where to mount my motor.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by goingfishin, Feb 14, 2009.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Could anyone give me advice on if I should lower my motor down a notch. I have a 200 horse Mercury on a 24' Procat 240. I am not getting any bow lift and am only getting 46 mph:confused2:. I have tried a 21, 23, and a 26 pitch prop. The 23 fits the best (rpm's are around 5500) I'm just not getting the top end speed that I want. Thanks CJ

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I also have a 24' er with a 200hp, and these boats will not get much bow lift cuz they are so long,,,the " rake " in the prop is where you will get most of the notisable bow lift

just yesterday tried out a new prop an OMC "renegade offshore" 4 blade thru hub exhaust 19p and got to 55.4 mph GPS

the photo below is with a "torbo" 3 blade 22p at 53 mph .. with newtrel trim ..."motor level"
    [​IMG]

also I tried a mercury a4 cleaver 21p and only got o 45 mph
    any kind of prop with a li over the hub exhaust didnt work good AT ALL like the mercury "trophy plus" these boats need thru hub exhaust and large blade area.
    be careful to some of the speeds that are posted as Iv hardly EVER seen a spedometer that worls off of the water psi line or thoes eletronic paddel wheel things go by a true GPS reading....
    "its amazing how much a slower boat is going once a GPS unit is in it"

3. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    these are some pics of my set up using 2 levels one on the hull and one on the prop, adjust them so they are level. this propshaft is 4 3/4" below the hull when the jackplate is down and 6 1/2" setback
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

when this jackplate is up it has 7 3/4" setback and the propshaft is EVEN with the hull
    [​IMG]

4. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I recruited some help from my little girl to get as close as possible. it is looking like it is 5". Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Here is another.

Attached Files: