Where to keep the keepers while you're still fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bsites9, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    What do most of you guys do once you start catchin the keepers. Do you put em on a stringer, or just in a cooler without any water, or what. With being as humane to the fish as possible, whats the best bet?

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I put mine on a stringer most of the time unless i'm fishing from my big baot then they go into the live well.I don't keep to many fish though rather catch and release then to clean them.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I'm fishing for keepers to eat they go directly in ice..

4. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    im broke and cant afford a boat so all the fish i catch that i entend to keep go on my stringer. I do have a nice stringer though that has nice clips for each fish so no goin through the gills like the old ones.

5. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    and by going in ice, you mean you put them in cooler, with ice and water, while they're alive? and i'm sorry, i should have specified, i'm talking fishing from the bank, with no boat, therefore so live well. sorry about that.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    On a stringer or on ice in a cooler. No water. Welcome to the BOC.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    If fishing from the bank, I use a long rope stringer. It is better to punch a hole in a fish's jaw than to run it thru their gills. Sometimes I release a fish after it has been on the stringer, but not often. The long stringer lets them get into cooler water water preferably in the shade. This will really help with the taste of the fish. I use the $5 stringers taht you buy at Academy. They are 3/8" rope with SHARP brass stick on the end. I go ahead and remove the ring and tie an end of line bowline knot. I had one of the rings open up and lost 15 good fish once. The clip type and chain type stringers can be good, but I had one of the chains break once, so I use what is simple and effective now.

If I am fishing from the boat, I use a big ice chest that is half filled with ice. This works great from bank too, and you dont have to worry about your fish getting turtle or snake bit.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Rope stringer or ice chest:wink:

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always use a rope stringer. Stay away from the clip type unless you are just catching pan fish a bigger cat will tear one up fast. The fish go in the cooler for the ride home. I will add a couple of bags of ice if I am not going to clean them right away. They will keep for hours that way. The only thing that bothers me though is how they scream when I poke them with the stringer through the bottom lip. When I put them on the ice they just whimper a little, that doesn't bother me as much.....:dribble:

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also fish often from the bank and I'll keep the ice chest in the truck and while I'm fishing from the bank I'll use a over sized basket to keep my eater sized fish..When its time to go to the house they go into the ice till I can clean them..

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I put mine on ice as soon as I catch them. Both on my boat and on the bank. The places I bank fish I can drive to so i don't have to worry about carring the ice chest.

12. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I bank fish and often hike in to fishing spots, so a cooler full of ice is out of the question. I use a very long rope stringer.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    if im going to keep them and im bank fishing ill use a stringer or basket,and put them on ice for the drive home.

14. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Sing to them when you poke them. They don't holler as loud:smile2::smile2::0a5:

15. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    what do you guys do to kill them before cleaning them. i mean, its not like trout, cut the head off, and gut em in like 10 seconds. i saw a video on you tube today of the guy just bleeding them by cuttin off the tail. the video cut after he cut em, and he said "ok, i bled the fish an hour ago, and its almost dead, so we'll start". look, i hunt, can gut a deer in a couple of minutes, and love fishin, but i can't "bleed" something for an hour!!

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mine slowly go to sleep, at least that's what the say when something gets put on ice for a few hours. They do get a little stiff, but thaw quickly.If they are alive when I get to them I just whack them in the head with a hammer, that is when my grandson isn't around, he loves to do that part.lol
    I don't bleed them. I rinse them in cold water soak them in salt water for a while and I get pretty snow white meat every time.:big_smile:

How would this be Jim? Sing'n in the rain, poke just sing'n in the rain! poke what a wonderful feeling, poke I'm happy again, poke,,,,,,,,,,,lol Reminds me of a Clockwork Orange :eek:oooh:

17. Hook

Hook New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    they will bleed completely out by the time you get home and much less messy to clean.

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That cracked me up!:tounge_out::big_smile:

19. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    best bet to me would be put it back in the water , thats the humane thing to do.but why worry about humane if its dinner anyway?? shane

20. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Grab em, Cut em, Skin em, Fillet em, Toss em on ice, Cook em, EAT em, in that order and that does EM:wink:.

John