Where to hook your bluegils/sunfish/etc.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mikeozo, Aug 24, 2009.

1. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    I would like to start a discussion about how you guys hook your bait. Pictures would even make this better and I think this would be a good informative discussion for all newbies.

My biggest question is regarding the gils, I tried hooking them in behind the anal fin and either I did it wrong, or the gils just dont live long. I had one that came off the hook while in the water also. I was using 8/0 King Kahles. I went with a mouth hook last night and the hook set was perfect but he did run with it really good.

Any pictures you could upload to show exactly where you hook theyse would be great.

What about chubs and suckers? Any advice?

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    in fast current i hook my baits thru the upper lip and out the nose(keeps them from drowning quicker)
    in slow current (most of the time) i hook my baits about a half inch above the anal fin making sure not to hit the spine(that will kill them quick)

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The dead creek chubs have been slaughterin' em down here in TN. Lots of eater channels coming out of shallow rocky areas. As far as hooking a chub I like to use em dead and run the hook thru the left eye thru the body and out the right side.. usin' gills "live" for me just below the dorsal fin. Glad I could help.:wink:

4. mikeozo

mikeozo New Member

State:
    PA
    LEN,

So you dont go through the bottom lip at all?

Thanks,
    Mike

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Soimetimes and especially in swift current I hook them thru the bottoim lip. In slower current I like to hook them beneath the dorsal but toward the back of it. Seems like they are most lively this way.

The thing I hate though about hooking them under the dorsal is that sometimes when I get a bite the hook point will turn and stick into the body of the blue gill. So theres another good reason to hook them thru the bottom lip and out through the nose.

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    On bottom try hooking them in the mouth, and with bobber try hooking them behind the dorsal fin. Keeps the presentation natural and allows for better hookups