Where to hook the baitfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Eudora, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey All:

I was just wondering wear you guys hook your baitfisjh. Usually, I hook them in front o fthe tale for suckers, and threw the back for goldfihs and bream. I have hadproblems with the fish coming off the hook whenI cast. I have heard of somer guys hooking through the head and having better luck. Let me know what work s for you.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish in river in current, therefore I always hook my baits in the nose. My logic is this, a fish hooked in the tail in current will eventually get tired and turned around tail-first in the current. They will then most likely drown.

3. TRYINGFORCATS

TRYINGFORCATS New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    When I Use Bream I Hook In The Back, But If I Use Shiners I Hook In The Mouth So They Live Longer

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I hook through the top of the mouth in front of the eyes when fishing in the Ohio river where there's a lot of current. I place the hook in the back just behind the dorsal fin and below the spine when fishing lakes or a low to no current situation. I also trim a little off of the tail on large baits to make them act more like an injured fish as well as stop the bait from moving the sinker and finding cover or getting tangled up.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Hook them throught the eyes, but careful not to hit the brain. This way they are blind to what is about to get them.

6. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    Through the tail for gold fish or less durable fish, for bluegill i hook it below the dorsal fin.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    in current i hook them in the meaty part of the forehead. in slack water i hook them above and just in front of the anal fin. i use gills almost exclusively.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i hook em in the back just behind the dorsal. then they can move any way they want.

i have been told by a flathead guide that a fish hooked in the lip in current will just ride in the current and wont work (swim and flash) like one hooked in the back. i hear lots whom do though.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hook my in the middle.

10. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use sucker-type minnows that have a lot of ugly blackish-yellow guts (and they smell bad). When live I hook them below and behind the dorsal fin, as close to but not through the spine. When I want to use them as cut bait, I cut the tail of while they are still live, then cut half way through the side of the body in two places so more blood and guts come out. Sometimes I puncture the heart area, right below the gill flaps. Then I run the kahle through right behind the gill flap, and come out the side past the two slices. I use them live or cut on a Carolina rig.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I always hook mine through the lips on shiners or gills because they will always swallow the bait head first so the hook is always inside their mouth.

12. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    When using limb lines I hook my gills right behind the dorsal fin this keeps them upright and swimming natural other than they can't go down. But when fishing with rod and reel in current I have always found that hooking them through the mouth and out the top of their head works great. Just don't go too far into the head because this can kill the fish. Hope this helps!!!

13. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like to go in the mouth and out the top of the head. With the right size hook the bait will stay alive and swimming for many hours.

14. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Beween the head and the dorsal fin.I cut the top of the tail off and scale them a little on one side.

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Hook them behind the dorsal fin every time.

Wheelmobile07