Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using circle hooks and was wondering where everyone else hooks their gills? I hook mine on top in front of the dorsal fin. But was wondering where people hook there's at and what you guy's think is the best place.....
Thanks
BB

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
All I use for all fishing from gills to kitties, bass, etc are circles, Gammas 8/0, TC 8/0, Daiichi 7/0 and Owner SS 9/0 or 10/0, I hook mine at the top behind the dorsal or in the top of the head. works just fine for me. I have purchased some 10/0 and 9/0 Kahles just to see what the fuss is about. I'm gonna try a 10/0 KK on a 16" Bullhead this weekend since its bigger than my circles and see what happens. Not really into crossing eyes, anymore, i like the rod to load up so it ensures I have the fish, oh well to each his own lol.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I hook the bait in the top behind the dorsal fin if I want it to swim upwards,on the bottom behind the anal fin will cause the baitfish to swim downward, right through the nose in swift current or through the meaty part in the top of the head. About the only time I want the bait swimming down is when float fishing them. If your bait dies on you and you want a live bait type presentation in current run the hook through the baits mouth and out the gill on one side then hook it sideways through the bach in front of the dorsal fin, it will make the bait move around a bunch when the current pulls against it.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
How do all you guys have bad luck with circles? i cant understand it, its one of the best things ever made for fishing. Especially for all you guys with bad backs like me, stop trying to pull a tree out of the ground when you set the hook and let the circle do its job and you'd like them too lmao, j/k just had to say that lol

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
How do all you guys have bad luck with circles? i cant understand it, its one of the best things ever made for fishing. Especially for all you guys with bad backs like me, stop trying to pull a tree out of the ground when you set the hook and let the circle do its job and you'd like them too lmao, j/k just had to say that lol
It aint that I got anything against circles.They just don,t work under my conditions.#1-How,s the circle gonna work if the fish is right next to the snag?Circle hook design is dependent on the fish moving off and setting the hook into the corner of his mouth.#2-How,s the circle hook gonna work when the fish picks up the bait and moves back toward me,which i,ve found to be the case roughly 25% of the time?Mostle everywhere I fish,if the fish can get 2-3 feet on me before I really put the pressure on him,he,s gonna be hung up in the steel or wood and the battles over.I,m not saying there,s not areas where they work,just not my areas.For those who are gonna tell me to use a slow sweeping set,forget about it!I gotta put everything I got into those first few seconds to get him turned.If i,m using a J that,s PROPERLY sharpened,it,s gonna catch on it,s own as much as a circle hook anyhow.It also leaves me the option of setting when I want.10 years ago there wasn,t hardly anyone using circles for flats and IMHO,10 years from now it will be back to that.I see a lot of guys gung-ho about the circles for awhile,then they end up goin back to J,s once they figure out all the situations where circles don,t work.Name me one situation where a big J hook won,t work?And yes,i,ve given circles an honest try in the past.And no,I can,t even remember the last time I gut hooked a flat.If I have ever done it,it,s been 1,2 at the most in 40 years of flattin.If it aint broke,don,t try to fix it!:wink:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It aint that I got anything against circles.They just don,t work under my conditions.#1-How,s the circle gonna work if the fish is right next to the snag?Circle hook design is dependent on the fish moving off and setting the hook into the corner of his mouth.#2-How,s the circle hook gonna work when the fish picks up the bait and moves back toward me,which i,ve found to be the case roughly 25% of the time?Mostle everywhere I fish,if the fish can get 2-3 feet on me before I really put the pressure on him,he,s gonna be hung up in the steel or wood and the battles over.I,m not saying there,s not areas where they work,just not my areas.For those who are gonna tell me to use a slow sweeping set,forget about it!I gotta put everything I got into those first few seconds to get him turned.If i,m using a J that,s PROPERLY sharpened,it,s gonna catch on it,s own as much as a circle hook anyhow.It also leaves me the option of setting when I want.10 years ago there wasn,t hardly anyone using circles for flats and IMHO,10 years from now it will be back to that.I see a lot of guys gung-ho about the circles for awhile,then they end up goin back to J,s once they figure out all the situations where circles don,t work.Name me one situation where a big J hook won,t work?And yes,i,ve given circles an honest try in the past.And no,I can,t even remember the last time I gut hooked a flat.If I have ever done it,it,s been 1,2 at the most in 40 years of flattin.If it aint broke,don,t try to fix it!:wink:
A-men Brother Pat. Reps to you

·
Registered
597 Posts
I aint trying to preach to you, because you are a hella lot better catfishermen than myself, but setting the hook like I'm tring to rip the fish s face off is fun to me....:handshake::beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.