Where to go?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by littleman, Aug 15, 2008.

1. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm only able to fish about once a week and sometimes not even that. So when I do get the chance to do some fishing I want to catch a few. The last few weeks I haven't had very good luck catching cats and its starting to annoy me.:angry: I want to try somewhere new but not sure where to go. Anybody know of a good spot near east central Illinois?

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    How far are you from Newton Powerplant Lake? Was always able to come home with eaters from that lake. Would be glad to share location on some spots if you are close enough to give it a try.

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Dean on this. Newton is great place for eaters, but would help to know where you are located to get you closer to the fish.

4. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm located in mattoon and my best local spots consist of Newton and Lake Mattoon. Newton is a blast especially in the fall. The biggest fish you will catch will be in the 3-5 lb range usually but man, the action is fast and furious. Your best bet there would probably be cut shad. The lake is loaded up with shad and they are best netted at the warm water discharge. Newton is just an all around good fishery. There have been several time that we have gotten into some very nice bass and white bass.
    Lake Mattoon seems to get heavily stocked every other year or so. Great channel population with a pretty good chance of catching 10-20 lb slot fish. We've even pulled some flattys out of there. If you fish from a boat try drifting on the east side of the island by the marina (only 1 island). If you dont have a boat then there is plenty of public access as well. I've had my best luck with Shrimp and shad.

Just a quick note, the eaters from newton always seem to taste extremely muddy. Probably due to the extremely warm/muddy water we fish in close proximity to the warm water discharge.

5. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm located in Paris, I don't mind a drive if the fishing is good. My only problem is I don't have a boat. Guess I should have included that in my previous post. Thanks guys

6. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    twin lakes not any good? i defanately woulndnt eat the fish out of that lake, but i go there about once a year might catch one might not. went to walnut point tonight and got 1 bight and one 5 lb. channel. i'm just down the road in Redmon.:0a25:

7. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    The problem I'm having at twin lakes is I get 3-4 yellow bellies/bullheads to every one channel. Lincoln Trail is ok but there is so much vegetation in the water. My son caught a channel there last weekend that he almost lost because of all the junk in the water.
    Newton is not to far to drive and sounds like a really good spot. Where is the power plant lake?

8. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    thanks for reminding me about the bullheads we were thinking about going there next week but maybe not. its bad enough putting up with the crackheads around there. been testing some water after work around chesterville on the kaskaskia, lots of drum perch and not much else. i fish oakland lake once and a while but the water is realy low for some reason. might try charlston or matoon next weekend.

9. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Newton Power Plant lake is west of Newton a few miles (as I remember it is R 33) then turn south. Plenty of signs to direct you. (google:newton, illinois & follow R33 west to 500 south for a map to the lake) If you are fishing from shore the boat ramp area is a good spot. The operator of the bait shop in Newton indicated that to the right of the ramp is a deep hole where they have good luck. You might stop in at the bait shop and talk with the owner, a nice guy who can give you some good information. My best bait were shad either whole (smaller ones) or the heads hooked through the eyes. I caught several good bass and the biggest was a a 24" using shad. I would also try shrimp marinated in garlic salt.

If you can get access to a boat, the east point of the divide between the two branches produced some 8-9 pound channels on occasion, but most will be the eater size. The boat ramp on the east side is where I always put in. Just out from the ramp where the point turns north was a great producer as well.

When I lived in that area several locals also fished the Sam Parr Lake east of Newton for channels. I never did like fishing there because the lake is much smaller & had a HP limit of 9.9, but it might be worth checking out.

Early in the year the Wabash from Hutsonville south was a good place to fish. Flatheads and channels are abundant. Best fishing was in the area south of Palestine.

Hope all this is helpful......catch a bunch!

10. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dean for the directions. I don't have to work next Friday and I'm hoping to give Newton a try. Even if the fishing isn't so good I like going to new places just to get a change of scenery.
    I fish the Wabash just north of Darwin down by my dads farm. There are several good spots along the river to bank fish. The problem I have is I can't go there if the kids are with me. There are no clear paths to those spots and its a long walk through a lot of weeds. I have been taking the kids to the local lakes around here. We normally do really good but for some reason the last few week we have had little to no luck.

11. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    The channels you do catch at twin lakes are nice sized, but the yellowbellies drive me nuts. I fished Charleston a few weeks back and did ok. Good luck to ya, I hope you catch a few.
    Jeff your name seems familiar? Are you originally from Paris or do you work at masterbrand cabinets?

12. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    good guese! never lived in paris but worked about everywhere at one time or another. for now i'm at masterbrand but it doesnt look too promising. do you work there? thats a heck of a drive!

13. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I figured you worked there or C.H.I., there is not much around Chesterville. Yelp, I work there too, I'm the sprayer in big trim. And with being in big trim we work a lot of 12 hr shifts and sometimes 16. So that drive is killing me, 44 miles one way. I know what you mean about the place not looking so good. I like having Fridays off, but it doesn't pay very well.

14. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i'm in framing on third shift. three day weekends are nice for fishing, bad on the checkbook.

15. clarkcfish

clarkcfish New Member

State:
    illinois
    good luck in macomb spring lake and argyle lake both state parks and have websites campin decent channels and some blues snake den hollow good lake powerton in pekin is great my dad loved it watch ur pole their cause they take them in a sec out there illinois river ppl bn havin good luck too round peoria area

16. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are quite a few good bank fishing spots on your side of the Wabash from Terre Haute down to Hutsonville, probably some good ones north of Terre Haute too but I'm not that familiar with the river north of TH. Good luck.

17. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am hoping to take the kids to Newton Friday. And Saturday I have a babysitter and will be fishing the Wabash around the Darwin ferry with my cousin on his boat. Two days of fishing, I am so happy.
    Terry Welcome to the boc!! I checked the websites out, they look like nice places to take a weekend camping trip. Thanks.

18. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I grew up in that neck of the woods. My Dads farm is just a couple of miles north of the Darwin ferry. There are a lot of good bank spots but some are hard for my kids to get to. So I don't get to go to them very often.
    North of the Darwin ferry on my side of the river there is a large creek that feeds into the river. Every since I was a kid I walk that creek from the farm down to where it feeds into the river. There are some nice holes with some good fish in them. This past spring I caught 26 small and large mouth bass in about three hours.

19. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dean nailed it again! Newton is beautiful. Bountiful & between me n you "safe" Fished it alot several years ago & never ever had a problem. No creepy people, well maintained facilities, picnic areas, a great place overall. Granted it was a few years back b4 Blago & his wicked IDNR cutbacks, so I am responding by memory alone.
    Hope you have a great time!

20. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:I fish the IL.River North of Chillicothe and do real well,if you ever want to come up this far i can take you out on the boat and most of the time have in the boat 60 to 80 pounds of rough fish in about four hours.Average size around 4 to 5 some up to 12 and down to 2#.If you are looking for a new job Caterpillar is hireing here in Peoria area.Resume by EMail average wage 13.00 to 15.00 to start.