Where to go?

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by Fastmax32168, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Fastmax32168

Fastmax32168 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hi all, I live in the Daytona area and have been doing some inshore fishing for a while now. I am interested in trying my hand for some nice cats in freshwater however. I can hit the St Johns from here pretty much anywhere between Melbourne and Jacksonville. Is the river better in any particular area for cats? Can someone reccomend an area to head to, a ramp to put in at, a direction to head or any good advice that might help improve my chances of scoring in my quest for Mr Whiskers?
    Thanks
    Roy

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I used to live in Palatka and most any of the creeks in that area hold really nice cats. I had very good luck in Dunns creek around San Mateo. Fish the deep holes on the outside of the bends anywhere in the creek. Look for sunken logs on your fish finder. The river has some good cats but the deeper holes are usually loaded with stingrays that take the bait before cats can get to it. Using big bream for bait helps some.

3. Fastmax32168

Fastmax32168 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jerry,
    Thanks that is exactly the type of post I was looking for. And the strange part is that is exactly the spot we were going to go anyhow! My buddy has fished in Dead and Crescent lakes for Specs before and we figured we would go up there catch some bait and a few specs for dinner and then head out thru the canal to the river. And when I looked at the name of the canal it was....Dunns creek! We are going to try our luck on Sunday.
    Your chopper?
    Roy