where to go?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Shenandoah, May 24, 2009.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey guys and gals, I'm looking to go with the wife and parents to a virginia lake this summer. We're looking to camp, preferably on NF or state land. I'm not looking for secret spots or anything I'm just seeking a lake that has good fishing, decent water access, with camping in close proximity preferably next to the water for some night time cattin. I'd also like to go to one that is not packed every weekend, (trip would be on a non holiday weekend). Any help, or just being pointed in the right direction will be great. Thanks.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lake Moomaw near clifton forge is on the headwaters of the Jackson River. They Forest Department has three campgrounds. All on the water. Two you drive to and one you get to only bu boat. Beautiful in the mountains lake with cats, smallmouths, trout, pickeral, and sunfish.

3. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    Kerr Lake near Clarksville, VA is an excellent lake and has numerous camping areas, all with lake access. A great place for a family outing. Check out the link.

http://www.kerrlake.info/

4. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This is the lake I was really looking hard at going to heard alot of good stuff about it, has alot of fishing variety and its close to the Jackson which has some great trout fishing. I guess my next question is then how is it on weekend? I like the peace and quiet of the outdoors will I get that?

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Summer will be somewhat busy but a ghost town compared to every other lake I can think of in VA.

6. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Being as you are asking on a catfishing site if you like to have the opportunity to catch BIG CATS then I would need to be the second one here to say head down to Buggs Island!( Kerr). Thirty-forty pounders pretty commonplace catches, bad night will generally at least give a teen or two! Bass and Crappie fishing can be good as well.

Two nice State Park campgrounds both with nice ramps available although weekends in the summer may be tougher to find an open camping spot, fish from the bridges at Clarksville up to the forks of the rivers. As you get up towards the rivers watch your speeds and stay in the channels, a map is definitly a requirement along with slow speeds until you learn your way around.

Generally at the upper ends of the lake you will not deal with many recreational boaters and the lake is big enough that you can find plenty of good fishing spots without feeling crowded at all.