where to go ??

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigrob2530, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    I want to go fish for some cats but i dont know where to go this weekend i dont know where i should go and what i should use let know ill fish any of the three rivers let know thanks alot

2. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Are you on the east side or the West side of PA?

3. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    i live right in pittsburgh

4. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Keep asking around there are a bunch of people that know that area. I am on the East side and I dont know ne thing about your area. Sorry Bud keep looking someone will help you out

5. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
  6. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    where should i fish these weekend for cats and where ??????????????:crazy:

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well, theres been some specific spots mentioned in a few of the river threads.

I'm still boogling out that some many people have gotten there first few cats... it seems early- and IT IS for flatheads, but channels, apparently have more tolerance for cold water.:cool2:

as for me faced with the dilemma of a whole night night and a deep desire to catch catfish, I chose shenango reservoir just north of shaaron. Shenango was my Learning place for catfish.. and when I started fish there I knew NOTHING about catfish. didn't have the equiptment, the idea where they hold, and there daily or seasonal patterns.

Shenango got a dense enough population to still reward a errant catter a few; while they are learning where to guess. But certainly there are a heck of lot of other places closer.

The alleghany is coming down and warming up; both will help IMHO. while high water CAN be an opportunity; catfish don't always lie in the popular beaten down footpaths that they do during lower water. Good luck with your guess! generally as you move along anyway its good to get somewhat of an independant streak... Not too many people will tell you their honey-holes , espacially those that hold man sized behemoth flatheads.

as for myself, I can sympathize. I came up here three years ago, will no clues locally where to find the catfish. They are few catfish addicts in the upper alleghany- but still a good population if you know what your doing. I'm still working on that education:wink:

don't forget to post often, work on making friends, and share your experiences on-line. Shared trips with BOC regulars is not out of the question! but its good to get to know somebody you take out; espacially if you're going to a valued spot.

I want to offer the opinion that becoming a good catter is at least a good 3-4 year project. water levels and seasons are always changing. the river is never the same twice. rigs, baits, time of night, even hooking technique need to be perfected. The reward? given time, YOU are the expert and have the photos to prove it.

that is why someone that has put in that 4-5 years of intense catting education is a little guarded about the specifics of WHERE:wink:

BTW; generally I'm open for a little fishing with a BOC brother. I don't have a lot of secrets to share and leave a long ways from most BOC brothers... but you mentioned Tionesta lake and its outlet. thats not too far! As other brothers will vouch; I set off late. my kids gotta come first. but 132 trips last years I am getting out.

this weekend is concerning me; I'm not sure if I'm willing to guess on the river; and with a coming cold front. lakes everywhere go be a little sultry.

8. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    first off welcome to the boc, secound what part of the burgh do u live in. i just checked the gauges my way the water temp went down over night from 46 to 44. still to cold for flats, but not channel's. there is hours and hours of info on here, and alot of other more seasoned guys than me that could help you more. hey, maybe some time we will have to fish since ur a fellow yinzer lol. .....justin:cool2:

9. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    ya i live 5 min from downtown pgh

10. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    5 minutes in what direction? If your east i could help you. could you narrow it down some more?

11. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    east right near sq hill

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Good spot for numbers and for some really big carp is below the emsworth dam on the ohio. I fished it for years with a lotta 25 and 30 fish nites. I cant fish there anymore...bad back.

13. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I heard the river that flows through ohio pyle camp site is really really good for cat fish.. I went there once fly fishing for trout and had a GREAT TIME..