Where to go Wed... Truman or tailrace

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishmerle, Nov 17, 2008.

1. catfishmerle

catfishmerle New Member

State:
    Liberty, MO
    Looking to take advantage of warm weather Wed. Any current Truman or tailrace reports? Normally fish a shallow water pattern...is this still effective this time of year, or should we head for deep water?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'd probably go up on Truman and drift fish the flats near the old river channel, maybe 35 to 50 ft of water. There ought to be some nice blue cats hanging around right where the flats drop into the channel. It's about time for the fish to start bunching up in the river channel, but the water might not be cold enough yet.

I spend about as much time looking for fish as I do fishing for fish this time of year - no point in blindly dropping a line in; find the fish and then fish the fish.

Bait might be a bigger challenge, as the huge schools of shad are almost certainly heading for deeper water now. It's not unusual to catch bait 30 to 40 ft down in 60 ft of water this time of year, though you would do well to check shallower water first. And it's also not unusual to spend 2 or 3 hours (or more) looking for bait. I figure if I'm on the water by 9am and fishing by noon, I'm doing pretty good; if I get bait early, it's just a bonus.

This would be a good time to book a trip with Steve Brown at Catfish Safari - spend a day with him and you'll learn all about how to fish the winter time pattern.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I'm thinking you are good either way as long as you are on the water. I know I would love to be out there.

4. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been going to Truman near Roscoe. Have been catching the good eaters (2-5lbs) of both blues and channels. And the occassional hawg. :wink:

5. catfishmerle

catfishmerle New Member

State:
    Liberty, MO
    Sorry for the late report, but...
    We ended up going both places. First, the tailrace. We fished the tailrace from 9-12 with no success. Shad were relatively easy to get in shallow water. We found something stacked on the depthfinder up by the dam and deadwater cove meet, but not even a nibble.
    Then, we went to Talley bend (we would have gone there first but were worried about wind) The wind wasn't an issue. We fished from 2 foot to 35 foot, not even a bite. Called it a day around 3. At least the weather was great.