Where to go on High Rock/Yadkin River?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by walongtree, Mar 19, 2008.

1. walongtree

walongtree New Member

State:
    NC
    I am new to the community and am looking for places to start fishing. I have herd that High Rock supports a good population of cats. From what I read mostly clannels and flatheads. Are their any blues? Anyone willing to give me general ideas where to go or where to catch bait would be helpful. Is anyone looking for a fishing partner? I have a 14’ J boat I’d take or be willing to help with fuel ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DLong

2. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I have fished High Rock for 15 years and I have never seen a blue catfish come out of there. I have had people show me pictures of "blue catfish" that were actually channels or whites. However, last year, I did hear of some blues caught out of HR from a source I considered reliable. I don't think there is a fishable population of blues in HR. That may change in the future.

High Rock has a good population of flatheads and channels. They are easy to catch some times of the year. I catch them best in the spring and fall. But, they can be caught in the summer months - I just don't catch as many fish consistently in the summer. In the spring and fall, I expect to catch ten or more flatheads. Once the water gets warm, the bait doesn't stay alive very long and I am happy to catch five. But, I don't fish as much in the summer because I am spoiled by better fishing in the spring and fall.

In a few, the flatheads should be biting good on the flats adjacent to creek channels. If that doesn't work, try fishing the channel ledges. You can catch a few 'heads now and there are always channel catfish around to give you a run. Until the water warms, I would use smaller baits - like shad, cut or live on some rods and bluegill on other rods. Smaller bluegill are good now because you can catch 'heads or channels on them. If you only want to catch 'heads, I would use all bream. You can catch 'heads on cut shad but I have better success with live bream. When the water warms, I use bream on all my rods - the bigger the better.

Good luck!

3. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have never fished out there but i wanted to welcome you to the boc. im sure that someone here will give you some great advice on that part of the river.