Where to go near Omaha?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by NoLuck, Sep 5, 2006.

1. NoLuck

NoLuck New Member

State:
    NE
    I haven't really done much fishing for catfish around here (Omaha). A few friends and I are camping this coming weekend (9/8 - 9/10). I am wondering where the best place is to go, within about 30 miles, to try and catch catfish while camping. I would appreciate any suggestions. This is my first post, so I hope I won't be ignored. Thanks again. Btw...I'm not after gigantic lunkers. Just decent sized that are fun to catch.

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Welcome to the BOC Gregg!

I live in La Vista, just south of Omaha. There is Chalco Hills, Walnut Creek, Standing Bear, Fremont Lakes, Zorinsky Lake, and of course, the Mizzu river.

I went to Wagon Train on Labor day, and got skunked! But I had a blast watching my best freind's son catch 14 blue gill (my bait) and one large mouth bass.

3. NoLuck

NoLuck New Member

State:
    NE
    One of my friends suggested camping at Louisville SRA. Is there any fishing to be had there?

Thanks for the help guys!

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I would say either Branched Oak or Stagecoach near Lincoln if that isn't too far. I've heard good things about the Louisville SRA also, but never been there myself.

Branched Oak has a great population of Channel Cats, and has some good size Flatheads (although the Flatties are catch and release only.)

Good luck

SudDawg

5. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    Louisville isn't a bad place to camp, the fishing isn't that bad if you're looking to fish from bank. There isn't a boat dock of anykind that I can recall anyways. I haven't been fishing in Nebraska in about 7 years, since I moved to Iowa. :0a2:

Btw, welcome to the BOC forums :)

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if you want quantity go to zorinsky lake with some stinkbait. they'll keep you awake all night.

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I been using stink, but I havent made it out to Zorinsky yet. Maybe Ill go out there this weekend. Does Zorinksy close at 10:00 p.m.? Walnut creek does:sad2: .

8. NoLuck

NoLuck New Member

State:
    NE
    We ended up going to Louisville SRA 9/8 - 9/10. We camped at non-electrical site 280 between Lake 2 and Lake 2A. We could see our poles in both lakes from our campsite. It was a good place to set up camp if you don't mind a train running past you, at about 40 yards, quite regularly. A couple guys who set up tent next to us said they fish the spot a lot and do well. One of the guys said he caught back-to-back master anglers within an hour of each other from this spot. All that said, they did not, nor did we, have much luck. One of them caught a 3 lbs at dusk on a bluegill head. We were fishing crawlers, livers, and bluegill. We had 4 poles in the water for the better part of 36 hours and caught six, all around the 1 lb mark. It did rain practically the entire day/night on sat. It was a good time...just wish the fishing would've been better. That's all for now. Also, I thought Zorinsky closed at 10:00, maybe 11:00. It's frustrating not being able to stay later. Am I wrong?

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    It IS frustrating when the parks close up. The cats dont start hittin till after dark, which these days is about 8:30. Which leaves only an hour and a half to catch fish. It's one thing to keep a bunch of destructive kids/adults out of the park, but when the taxpayers pay for these lakes, and to have them stocked, we should be able to fish our hearts content.

10. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    liquid steel, back before the river consumed the majority of my fishing time I would sit at zorinsky all night. got checked twice and they searched me for beer and okayed me to stay as long as i wanted to as long as i didn't make any noise. in other words yes you can stay past 10:00 but just don't do anything illegal and you won't have to worry.

11. W. A. Sted

W. A. Sted New Member

State:
    NE - Omaha
    You can stay at Zorinski past the posted 10:00. They can kick you out, but if you are just fishing they will leave you alone. I fish past 10 every time I am there, and when heading back to the dock there are always people fishing off the bank and or handicapped dock. The only people I have seen removed have been kids just hanging around the parking lot. Have talked to cops there after hours, they didn't mind.

Adam

www.nebraskafishingforum.com

12. Penn209

Penn209 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The traffic will really start slowing down @ two rivers and Louisville state parks after Labor Day. Good places to consider. Heavy traffic in the summer.

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks for the good info, Adam! And welcome to the BOC! If you ever need a fishin buddy, please feel free to pm me. I like to use stinky bait, livers, and blue gill.

Kenny

14. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I never have any trouble staying at Zorinsky all night. Two Rivers is also pretty good at times. They watch the gate a bit more there though as that is a state park. Louisville is tough, but there are big fish in there. The hog in my avatar came from there.

Good luck guys!!