Where to go in virgina for catfishing?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by WHEELMOBILE07, Mar 8, 2006.

1. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Got spring break from school next week and need to go fishing before I go insane. Can anyone give me some information where good blues or flatheads can be caught this time of the year in southeast VA. Willing to drive 3-4 hours. We don't have a boat just wanting to bank fish. Any help would be appreciated.

wheelmobile07

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    You've go the James and Chickahominy rivers on your doorstep. Where are you - Hampton Roads?

Some James River areas you can fish are: Henricus Park or Osbourne Landing or the City Park (if that's what it is) in Hopewell right at the confluence of the Appomatox and James Rivers.

On the Chick, you can hit the pier at Chickahominy Riverfront park or do a little walkin to fish the bank of Morris creek (a trib. of the Chick) at the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area. Fish the creek bends.

If you go during the week, you can go to Deep Bottom Park on the James. Fishing is not permitted at the parking on weekends or holidays.

You may find some more info by looking over the threads in this forum. Do a search for "vacatfisher" He does a lot of bank fishing on the James and has provided some info in the past.

//scott

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks a lot! I live in martinsville, va. but willing to travel. Man, I am glad I found this forum.

wheelmobile07

4. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I live in Callands. You could try Dan River or Milton off 58.To early in year for me.70 miles down 58 is Kerr Lake ( Buggs Island ).Try Holiday Shores on the Dan.Staunton State Park,Dan and Staunton come together there.good luck.

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    1bigblue,
    have you ever heard of anyone catching any fish out of the dan this time of year? thats closer to me but i don't think i have heard of people catching them this time of the year. any help will be appreciated

wheelmobile07

6. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    most of the fish arent up there till late march/april...
    hope this helps...you can fish kerr lake from the bank all over the lake, there are boat ramps, and normally somewhere near the ramps is a place to fish from the bank.....i've been out several times lately and always see people catfishing from the bank...Good Luck.
    Mike
    (cpr):0a18:

7. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Basscat, You said you've been a few times this year. Where have you been fishing at? I've been alot this year to, I've been fishing around Grassy Creek. I think I'm going to try around the river mouths(Dan and Staunton) this weekend. I might try around BlueStone.Where have you been catching bait at? It took me 2 hours last weekend to catch my bait. I've been before and not caught any. Drop me a line :cool: 1bigblue

8. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

...this time of the year...from shore...i never catch anything over 5 lbs....my best "luck" if thats what ya wanna call it has been at deep bottom ramp this winter...got a 5 lb...a 4lb...and a striper in 5 trips...fishing from the bank in winter in all th spots ive found is horrible....in the summer /late spring IMO ya cant beat point of rocks park...some hawgs hand there...

i havent fished in a while tho...not since early february...been busy till this weekend and i just got back from the bay bridge tunnel pier...croakers were biting but not in good numbers...nothing big

9. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went on a boat today and I know I could have thrown my abu 35 yards. Thats were I found my fish. Where were you 1 st Island? you must have been useing squid. Have you ever tryied the fake blood worms for spot. I think they are killer. Let me know what you think. Keep a tight line 1bigblue

10. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Heu bigblue1 check this site out, if your fishing kerr lake it's bout as good of reports as you can get, I havent had luck w/ the shad lately, although this past weekend caught lots, in shallow waterfrom the bank to about 10 ft. deep. I fished ivy hill sat, and didnt catch a fish, had a couple takedowns, but NO hookups...I'm gonna fish uplake next time i go out..have you been doing any good uplake?
    Mike
    (cpr)
    http://pub30.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=2554406034&cpv=1

11. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went monday winds 15 to 25 mph. I fished around the rail road trussel (Grassy Creek ) cought a few 8 to 14 lbs. I didn't check around Goat Island should have wind blowing to hard. At marker 19 on the Dan River side marked the hell out of fish 40 ft. Water temp was 56.Went to Blue Stone and Bufflo didn't mark anything. Cought a couple at 19 same size. Let me know when you are going next I'd like to get up with you. Two boats are better then 1.Going to cool down this week though lows in the 30s. I probally wouldn't have cought bait if it wasn't for that hungry Striper.Drop me a line 1bigblue