Where to go for monster catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Deftones2015, May 4, 2009.

1. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would love to go on quite a few fishing trips around ohio this year for some monster cats. Where in ohio are some good places to check out? Also, what kind of rod and reel should I look into, I know most people say bait casting reels but what's everyone's opinion? Still extremely new to this so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my top 3 pics would be in this order Clendening,tappan and piedmont all have big cats hope this helps

3. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Awsome looking places but HUGE lol, looks like I need to invest in a boat in the next few years.

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey welcome to the sport man! No shame in being new...this place will help you more than you can ever imagine! I personally prefer okuma spinnning reels with baitrunners...my only complaint is they are two quiet...As far as where to go...I personally would agree with will tappan or clendening is what ide imagine...need to go up with us sometime to wet a line....WISH YA LUCK!

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to site!!!! I would also try the Ohio, Scioto and Muskingum rivers. As far as reels I prefer abu garcia baitcasters. I use to use open face silstars with baitrunners then switched to baitcasters and fell in love.

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Baitfeeder feature isn't supposed to be a bait clicker ,its used for freelining live bait

7. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lakes-Piedmont,SaltFork,Clendening,Mosquito,Tappan,Logan,Will's Creek all hold big Flats
    Rivers-Muskingum,GMR,Scioto,Maumee,Hocking etc also hold big fish

8. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    joey6500.... thax i forgot all bought saltfork dont get there much but sure has big fish

9. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I second Davids choice of Okuma Baitrunners(anywhere from 65 to 90 size if you're going for flatties... might get away with smaller if going for channels)..... yeah they're kinda quiet, but as long as you stay close enough to your rod, you'll hear it.

Something I'd like to add, since alot of catfishing is done at night, you might want to invest in some good lighting, in addition to my cheap trusty D-cell flashlight I also bring a rechargable spot/work light mounted on a camera tripod(puts the light just exactly where I need it)........also Berkley makes a series of rods called "Glowsticks" that not only are painted with a glow in the dark paint, but also have internal battery operated LED lights

10. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF YOUR REEL IS TO QUIET ADD A FISH ALARM. YOU CAN GET GLOW IN THE DARK FINGER NAIL POLISH AND PAINT THE END OF THE POLE.
    LOOK UNDER CARP FISHING AND YOU SHOULD FIND BATTERY OPERATED FISH ALARMS AND IF DON'T WANT NOISE THE HAVE FLASHING LIGHTS ON THEM ALSO.:wink:

11. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio

Def. would like to start going out fishing with people on here, just let me know when a few days in advance. I live about an hr away from most good fishing holes.

As far as the reels go, what kind of rod do I want? I'm catching a bunch of small channels right now 4-6 lbs or so, but I def. want to upgrade and try to catch the bigger fish out there. Can I buy big so I can catch big or small or should I have diff sized poles or what? I really dont have the money to buy a bunch of 100 $ rod and reels.

12. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

There are plently of rods made by many brands marketed specifically as "catfish" rods, they're usually constructed of a tough fiberglass composite(sometimes with a graphite core), and in almost every case can be bought for less than $50.... Berkley Big game, Berkley Glowstick, American Spirit Nightstick, Shakespear Uglystick(and Ugly stick salt), EagleClaw Sea eagle, Cabelas Whuupin stick, Cabelas King cat, Cabelas BigWater.....any of these should handle just about anything you'll likely hook into in Ohio waters.

The main characteristics you're looking for are

1....decent line weight capacity, something that's in the 15-40lb range should be perfect.

2....good lure weight capacity, you're going to be launching some pretty heavy baits, you want a rod that can handle atleast 4oz lure weight.

3....length that you're comfortable with(more length=longer more accurate casts, but too much length can be a limitation in some cramped fishing conditions....), personally I prefer a 7 or 8 foot rod.

4....Last but not least, portability, you have to actually be able to get the rod to your fishing spot and back safely, a one piece rod might be OK if you have a truck, but most the times it's just going to be in the way(remeber this aint no bass rod, length is going to be anywhere from 7' to 10 feet)..... so in most cases you will probably want to go with a 2 peice rod.

Just keep in mind that the Ohio record Flattie was actually taken with a little pink shakespear or zebco Barbie spincast combo....... Moral of the story, no matter which rod you get, make sure it's PINK, or bring along some pink spraypaint when you go rod shopping just incase you have a hard time finding a pink one.... might as well just go through and paint every rod on the rack(no need to keep all that good luck all to yerself).:wink: