Where to go fishing...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by fishinphenom, May 19, 2009.

1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have been debating on where to go fishing.. I know the bite hasnt been any good out at eufaula dam.. I went to Keystone last week and the water is just way too high.. and the lakes that I usually fish out east of the city.. well with all the rain the spots that I know are probably very muddy and hard to get into..

I'm willing to drive about 2 hrs in any direction of Oklahoma City as long as I have a good time and catch some fish.. I have fished lots of different lakes across the entire state and just need some suggestions on where to go.. I'm more leaning towards catching some stripers or hybrids this trip but any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and I will be fishing from the bank.

I am considering Denison Dam at Texoma.. I've never been there and if anyone has and may have a report I would surely appreciate it!

Ken

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Hey Ken..... what about Waurika lake? I've not fished it, but I've heard terrific things about the bluecat fishing there. Matter of fact, I spoke to a couple of guys at a catfishing tournament one time & they claimed it was one of the best bluecat fisheries in the country. I thought that was a pretty strong statement, especially since these guys were no rookies. They knew their stuff pretty well & were quite talented at catching fish. I wouldn't begin to know where to tell you to fish there, but that's the lake I've been just dying to try.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerrod - I do not think I can buy the statement that Waurika is the best in the country but certainly the best in SW/okla. I have wanted the fish it as well, but have not had the time. I know it is an outstanding bluecat lake. I would suggest a person go to the marina on the lake and talk to the owners. I feel they will help a person or just call the ODWC game ranger in that county. I know they are always helpful if politely asked.

4. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thanks Jerrod I have fished waurika and it is a very good catfish lake.. but the dirt roads to get to the spots I fish can get really bad.. especially after alot of this rain.

I think I may have to put off on fishing tomorrow morning and go tomorrow evening instead.. buddy of mine flaked out on me.. aint got anyone to go with..:confused2:

5. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yes.. Waurika is an outstanding blue cat lake and a great hybrid lake as well..

6. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    Were catching fish at Ft. Gibson Dam. If you want to go let me know when and I'll met you over there.

7. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey I appreciate that Henry.. what time you heading over there?

8. OkieHenry

OkieHenry New Member

State:
    Hulbert, Oklahoma
    I got to go to wagoner then muskogee in the morning so about 2 or 3 tommarow afternoon. It depends on when I leave in the morning may get there sooner. If your going I half to go to Wagoner but I can put off going to Muskogee so let me know what time you will be there.

9. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kenny I know you already heard Eufalla dams gates are open but might not be good for a couple days. I went to Kaw dam about a month ago and killed the hybrids. It was my first time there and it is pretty cool. The generator was running and the hybrids were right in the current. I went back a week later and the gates were all going ad couldn't catch anything all day so I just snagged a few spoonbills.:eek:oooh:

10. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yea Kaw dam is pretty neat.. its little bitty compared to all of the other dams I've been to.. Last time I went out there got kind of a wierd vibe from some of the older locals as if I was invading on their honey hole or something..:confused2:

But anywho I didnt really do any good out there that last time I went.. it could be different now..

I didnt get to go fishing this morning.. so I'm thinkin I am for sure going either this evening or early tomorrow morning.. not exactly sure where yet.. its been a few days with the flood gates open at eufaula so I may just end up heading out there.. anybody wanna go?

11. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Went to eufaula yesterday.. things are starting to get better.. didnt really catch much fish but had a good time.. caught some crappie 1 striper and 2 cats.. and also lots of drum.. definately going to avoid the holiday traffic.. but may be back out sometime next week.

12. Jared102000

Jared102000 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I grew up at Kaw and have fished it for many years the fishing is best when they aren't letting a whole lot of water out just generating or maybe 1 gate open somewhere between 3000 and 8000 cfm. The west side is normally the best fishing. Especially for flat heads using live shad fishing down along the rocks. Striper and hybrids more out to the middle you need to be able to cast a long way if your going to fish out in the middle. Fishing there is great but its an art and takes a while to figure it out. Catdaddy went with me and we were the only ones catching any fish the people around us weren't catching anything. You should be able to start catching some cats on jigs up there.