Where to get good trotlines?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by UTVolGatorHater, Apr 26, 2006.

1. UTVolGatorHater

UTVolGatorHater New Member

State:
    VA
    Where is a good place to buy good strong trotlines? Or is it best to make your own?

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    The quality/price of homemade trotlines would be hard to beat.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    to get a really good trot line home made andd haand tied is the only way to go in my opinion. i like parachute cord from the army surplus store for my main line. i like braided nylon stageing instead of twisted . aand all hooks i use are stainless steel.usually oshugnessey type trotline hooks. weights aare old winddow sash or concrete poured in 20 oz soda bottles. best jugs are clorox but a lot of time i use 2 liter pop bottles. hope this helps

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hand made is the only way to go. You have more time and care in them and they just work better than any thing you can buy. I also feel that any line bought such as from Wal-Mart is so cheep that many fisherman just leave them when they are done and will buy knew the next time which is unmoral and unethical.

I use #72 tarred line for the main line, #1 Rosco swivels with doubled #18 tarred line for the drops. I use a 5/0 90ss Eagle Claw hook and plan to go to a 6/0 or 7/0 hook the next time I buy. I have lines that I have used now for 15 years. I put a lot of time and money in to each line so it hurts to lose one to beaver, hang ups, and Ba$$ fisherman. I never leave my lines out unless I am tending them every day. And a duel hook will not catch, I sharpen my hooks about twice a year. I know this is not what you asked, but I hope it helps. Trotlines are fun and use and they are hard work to maintain. I like to meet other trotliners.

5. UTVolGatorHater

State:
    VA
    thanks for the advice. I have never made one before and it has been a long time since i have ran a trotline. I just hope I can make one the right way. Does anyone have a pic of how the drop is connected to the main line and what stops it from moving down the main line?

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I build my own. Main like line is #21 twisted line. I soak mine in cherry Koolaid before making the lines. It will make them catch the first night.
    Also catch better. And the smaller the main line the better they catch .
    I use #9 for the dropper to the hooks. And for hooks I use circle hooks. And standard 1/0 hooks.
    But I fish Jumper lines, so they come out every morning and Put them back out in the late evening.
    So for the jug I use a 20 oz drink bottle. Sprite works best. Blends in with the water and makes it hard for others to find.
    If its a 25 hook line I will use a brick on float end near the bank. And then half way I use a 1/2 brick. Then a whole one on the end.
    If using a 50 hook line. I use three 1/2 bricks spaced out even in the middle and full bricks on each end.
    WE have fished them like this here in The Tn river for 3 generations.
    Pete

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Handmade is the only way to go for a trotline that will stand up to years of hard use. While there are some advantages of using light rope, such as parachute cord, for the mainline, I prefer to use 350#-400# twisted nylon line. Here's why. I build my trotlines by putting large swivels on the mainline; they are kept in place by tieing a knot on either side of the swivel. The swivel size is chosen so that it just slides easily over the mainline; this keeps the swivel from being able to slide over the knot, but lets the swivel move freely. If a catfish swims around the mainline, the swivel keeps the dropper from wrapping around the mainline and giving the cat something to get a strong pull against. Droppers are made by tieing the ends of a 24" length of 100# test braided nylon line, forming a 12" loop. Using a loop for a dropper makes it easy to attach the dropper to the swivel, and the hook to the dropper, without having to tie a knot. I use 100# test for droppers because I sometimes have to break one when it hangs up on a stump or snag that's too deep to reach.

8. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    UTVolGatorHater I had put a drawing in the library on the old site, I have never been in the library on this new site to see if it made it. You may check it out and see.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hand made wins hands down. AND Michael (Tony) Its good to see you again. Been on vacation? lol

10. UTVolGatorHater

State:
    VA
    Thanks again.....I just found an article in the library "trotlining 101" it explains everything I was wondering....Good info. Thanks for the help I think I am going to make a few tomorrow it is going to be a rainy day I think. So that should keep me busy.

11. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    My grandfather made his own trotlines and hoop nets. I wasn't smart enough while he was alive to have him teach me net craft.:cursing: My loss!!!!:0a15:

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Memphis Net And Twine offers a pretty good out of the bag line if you don't want to go through the time and expense of making your own. I'm like the rest build your own if you want the best. Then you know the quality you've put in and the results it should produce according to your set.
    Don't forget use the big net.
    Don

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Your better off not knowing how to make the Hoop nets. Man theres a bunch of knots there . My dad made them for everyone around here. And man they were a pain in the rear.. I think I still remember how but its been 15+ years.
    Theres a site in LA that shows how to make your on webbing if I run up on it again I will send it to you.
    Pete

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think Jann's Netcraft still has info on how to make your own nets. But I agree with Pete that it's just too much trouble. I know just enough to be able to do a temporary repair job on a landing net that will last till I can get to the store and buy a replacement net.

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey AwShucks, I have been so caught up other things and the louisiana thread till I forgot all about the other threads. I thought about it last night and thought I would see what was going on out here. Good to see all yall are still here helping everyone out, even ole jtrew.

16. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    definitley recommend making your own.

17. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    here is how i make my trot lines i use 35 yrds of 550 cord for main line then i use a sewing needle with 100 pp and run it threw the 550 cord every 3-4 feet then i place a swivle 10 inches down the power pro and tye on some homehade pre made 100 lb leader with a 8/0 ss trot line hook and i use old dumbbells for my weight and a big tide bottle for my marker cheap easy and fun to use i hope this helps

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jess, Jess, Jess... haven't you learned yet that Bass Fishermen set on the right side God. They can do no wrong. Darn you anyhow for putting a trotline in prime bass habitat... shame on you... They will do anything, to include destroying a 25.00 to 30.00 trotline to save their 3.49 lure.

19. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    As far as store bought J&H is the best I've found.

What do you all think of the quick clips?

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use them on my anchored juglines, but I don't like them on trotlines.