where to get gizzard shad

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nevets91, Oct 31, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    where do you guys that fish wateree catch some bigger bait like 6 inch plus gizzard shad? all i ever catch are 2-4 inch threadfin. i managed to catch a few large gizzard shad when catchin the threadfin sometimes but not very often. i like using them better than perch or bream personally but can never get ahold of them. thanks for any help

2. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i sell shad i buy from jimmy jones below clover or ned davis in chester do not know where they catch them but they r 4 plus inches bobs bait i live near lakenorman

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey steven if you want to catch your own on lake watere and fishing creek look in the back of coves there are schools of 4-8 inch gizzard shad one cast and go fishn I froze about 30 doz today for the winter and also plenty of thread fins there to good luck:wink:

4. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    yeah i can usually find schools like that but there never seem to be any gizzards in there maybe a dozen under 3 inches for 10 dozen gizzard and its really rare for me to find the ones over six inches i cant figure out why

5. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Plenty of 6-7 inch class gizzards in beaver creek this morning,around the pink flamingo.Also caught several very big shiners,probally up to 8 inches long.I usually catch one here and there but today I got a lot of em.

6. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    If you get in the Monty/Murray area anglers south in Irmo sc now has live gizzard/thread fin shad and herring. Also first weekend of Dec they are going to start holding catfish tourney's.....:wink:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    on wateree when looking for big bait look for bigger pops on the water that is your bigger shad an there want be any thread fins in the big schools of gizzards today I found my bait beside state park ramp in that cove in 2-4 ft of water also behind the park is a good place to look for bait

8. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    that may be my problem i have just been using my depth finder to find the schools in 12-20 feet of water and i can find plenty but just cant tell how big they are i havent really got back in the coves looking for them to surface

9. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    next trip give it a shot hope that helps you out pm me before you go next trip I live in dutchman and work at the state park I fish about every day I will give you some pointers on where I have been catching my bait:wink:

10. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    thanks that would be awesome man i appreciate it

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Tell me more about these catfish Tournaments:big_smile:

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm fishing with PopPop

13. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Is there a Phone# for Anglers South? I need Info for this tournament. Where, when, How much is the entry fee. Times and rules? ect.

14. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    POP POP PM SENT!

15. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    (803)732-0803

16. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Ok how about where to catch shad in lower lake Santee this time of year. I will be down ALL of Thanksgiving weekend and hate to buy bait. Perch, Bream etc is usually not a problem but can never find shad this time of year...any advice?

17. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If its not to far out of the way stop by wateree on the way there and catch some for santee I allways get my bait from here before going to santee but I have caught shad at santee around lights at night good luck at moultrie