The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a couple spots I go to for big Flatheads and channels but im trying to discover new waters and/or areas for cats. Any info would be nice. This is my largest flysthead at 60# caught last night. View attachment 297038
Hey Tom, that's a beautiful flathead! I'm only in my second year of serious catfish fishing and have had quite a bit of success on channels up to 8lb on the Rock River in the Watertown-Jefferson area.
I am keenly interested in starting to target flatheads (strictly for catch and release) but have not been very successful in garnering information about where to try for them from shore (I don't own a boat and I actually enjoy bank fishing a lot!). I see in your photo that you appear to be fishing from shore. I'd be grateful if you could share any info regarding spots I might try for flats from shore. I live in SE Wisconsin but am willing to travel to pursue flatheads.
Thanks much and I'll be monitoring this forum to see if anyone offers suggestions for flathead fishing options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, asking a fisherman for spots to fish is like asking a hunter where he has seen all the big bucks. In a way I can't blame them.
One hunting group I am in will ONLY state what county the deer was seen/taken. You really need to get a fishing partner and fish hard to find places. You had stated Rock River in the Watertown-Jefferson area which is WAY more than I have heard. Many time I will hear thing like Lake "W" or Lake "R" and the person they are talking to knows. I have even heard people say Lake #12. This would refer to their own personal diary. Again if they are talking and need to give an exact location they would talk in code like "Remember when we swallowed minnows and had a chaser of beer after at that bar? Go about 100 yards due North and you will find the hole." Like I said it's hard unless you are in a club that actually helps each other OR find yourself a few people that loves fishing as much as we do.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I happen to see quite regularly people giving pretty good locations to people that are in the area the poster is asking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts