where to get flathead catfish fingerlings?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by OklahomaFever, Jan 13, 2009.

1. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im in the process of stocking my 10 acre lake............

does anyone know where i can get flathead fingerlings? no fishfarms seem to have them....

2. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    Check with the local DNR. Good luck.

3. Patrick01

Patrick01 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if you have a seine net try seining in the small pools on the canadian river in june and you might get lucky

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems like seining for them may be a bit harry. Don't know what the game wardens would say as in OK we do have a length limit, believe it is 18" minimum. You may just be bettrer off caching flatheads and putting them in your pond as you do. In a few years, there should be a bunch of flatheads and little of anything else in the pond.

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    well if u find out were let me know i want one for my fish tank.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Boy could of gotten you 1000's of them this past summer when the river flooded and backed up in the drain ditches. You could see them swimming around after they hatched out.I know they were flats .I stopped ,got out and looked at them just to see what they was for sure.They was about 1 -2 "long.Hated to see it really cause after ditch dries up they'll die.Birds will have a feast though.
    Best of luck in your search.

7. okie rat

okie rat New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yeah id agree on the catching a male and female and puttin them in there since their past the 18" min.. in case someone wonders, one hole its a male two holes its a female. man that sounds like a dream pond though. just gotta keep plenty of bait fish to keep em happy..

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I really wouldn't recommend putting flatheads in a pond that small. Catfish other than channels just don't do well in smaller bodies of water. They eat too much for the bait population to keep up. If you do though be sure to stock probably twice or more times a year with sunfish and minnows. Also, you may want to look at getting some shad stocked in there. I believe that 10 acres will support threadfin shad. If you're going to have flatheads you may not want to put any bass in there as that will reduce the number or predatory fish in the pond.

You aren't going to find any flatheads at fish farms b/c they aren't on the list of "aquaculture" species in most all states. Your best bet would be to stock the pond with bluegill, fathead minnows, and shellcracker (make sure they aren't hybrid bluegill) and then a year later stock some small adult flatheads and maybe one or two larger fish. And you're certainly going to want to harvest some flatheads out of the pond each year once the pop. gets up to keep them from over populating and stunting. If you notice you're catching long skinny fish or small fish with huge eyes the fish are over populated and you need to get some out of there. Hope some of this helps.

Also, unless you put them in there over this size, don't expect to get many over 20lbs or so.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I built a small lake a few years back and stocked it with bluegills and sunfish. 2 years later there was a good population of them getting started. So I thought I would put in some catfish. I put 36 channels and 1 flathead in the lake this was 2 years ago now I have no bluegills or sunfish. My lake wasn't 10 acres, but I would not advise putting a flathead in at all. Channels would be ok I guess but not flatheads.
    I'm getting ready to start all over with stocking mine now.

10. pitbull33

pitbull33 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with Ken. I ruined a good bait pond with 2 flats a year ago. LOL

11. ia flathead

ia flathead New Member

State:
    iowa
  12. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I don't have any experience keeping flatheads in ponds, but I did come across a place in Missouri that bred flatheads. I don't recall where it was exactly, or what its name was, but even in the article about it, it seemed as though the owners of the hatchery kept a low profile. This may not be very helpful, and I guess I'm trying to say that I've only come across mention of one flathead hatchery throughout the years. You may want to try breeding them yourself, if you decide you want them in your pond.

13. catback

catback New Member

State:
    virginia
    fatflatty is on the money with what he said it couldnt have been put better . if you didnt see it go back a page. its deffinatly not advisiable . sorry man ! but good luck with it if you do it your gonna have your hands full!!!!

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we stock a flathead or two into a tank to clean it out. our tanks are 1 acre or so and after a yr or two you have really thinned out the population of EVERYTHING that was in there. Bass, bluegills, bullheads, bullfrogs, and even turtles seem to thin out. We do this when a tank gets too many bass in it and everything starts to look stunted.
    I would advise against stocking them unless that is your intentions. Go with channels and feed them. They are fun, grow fast, and will not wreck your other species.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'm not sure flatheads will reproduce in a pond. They might still eat everything but I'm not sure they reproduce.

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have checked on this before because I wanted to stock a private pond and got the same response from a few different hatcheries, they said that they only breed flatheads when a state asks for a large amount to stock a lake or river system otherwise they dont breed them. and unless it was a very large amount I prob. wouldnt find anyone to do it.

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    You might wait until they decide on the sex of that flathead. If it's a flathead introduce her to a male when the water temp reaches 63 degrees and allow them a few hours of privacy.:crazy: