Where to get Circle hooks for Bluegill?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by USE TO BE, Jun 6, 2008.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd like to try some circle hooks for blugill, mainly for my 4 yr old daughter. I figure if i use a large float and a small circle hook she should be set until she learns to use j hooks. What size and where can I get them?

2. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I am not sure if they make them that small. I will bend a wire Aberdeen hook 90 degrees so they do not swallow the hook. Are you looking for them to hook themselves?

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure what size but I'd say you can get them at Wal-Mart or try Bluff City Tackle, one of our sponsors, that is if they make them that small. I'm not sure about that. Here is the link to Bluff City...
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73480.

If no luck there I'm sure that one of our sponsors would have them or be able to get them for you.

Since she is young, check out the Quick Sets, they are a sponsor also and all you have to do is cast it out and set it and when she gets the bite it'll go off and hook it. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72471

Just some ideas, hopefully at least one of them will help you out.:wink::big_smile:

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Bobs outdoors in Newark has them in size 10 and buckeye outdoors in Hebron has them at times in 3 different sizes,I use them and they do a real good job,havn't had a gill swallow a hook since I started using them,they also work good for catching chubs for bait

5. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Tony. I buy all of my guns from Buckeye Outdoors. I will have to check the next time I'm up there. I have seen a few posts where guys use #10 Gamma Circles, I just wonder where they are getting them. I would like to find an online source.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I get mine online at cabelas. And as Tony said. They work like a champ.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used the #8 Eagle Claw for years and they worked great.I can't hardly feel a bite on my good days or work a reel and they worked great with bottom,little Cork or even a big Cork and weight that you could cast a distance.I have given them to others for kids while fishing and they seemed to help them hookup a lot more.The big drawback with the kids is getting them to let it hook the fish!They wanted to snatch it at the first sign of a nibble as we all do.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. i have them. size 6. gander mnt has them. gamakatzu. and they hook lips 99% of the time. they almost hook themselves apon sinking bobber. and evn swollowed hooks pulled real slow seem to slip out without hooking guts. i love them espessially for live bait for flatheads. and i use them for creek chubs too. lip hooks just the same.

there worth there weight in gold. if ya release or want to keep a bunch for the skillet. either way youll hook more and kill less with swollowed hooks.

and good thing i seen this. man. im down to two. i need a few packs myself.

one night crawler, we call them (dew worms) will last an hour. cut them into 1/2" peices thread them on and sometimes 3-4 fish to each peice.

heres the ones i use. on my thumb nail. gamakatzu offset octopus circle size 6.

i use the same ones for catfish. 6/0 size. in my palm.

9. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    I was just thinking about that the other day, I have a youngun and I believe it may be easier for her to catch fish with a circle hook, it hard for little to set the hook. All you have to tell them is to keep the tip down and reel the line in. I would go with a small boober, it will allow the blue gill to run more with the bait without any hindrance. You will not find any circle hooks that small at Walmart at least not here in central Ohio. Order a Cabelas or Bass Pro catalog and find a size 8 or 10 circle.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    walmarts around here have never had or now do carry circles. ive been to 10 or so in illinois. not one has a circle.:angry:

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I abandoned the circle hooks for bait bluegills.... I switched up to the smallest leadhead made. Under a small float baited with a slice of night crawler or wax worm... GOLDEN!

Always a lip hook, and to date (2 1/2 yrs now) never had one swallowed!

Tight lines!

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Try cabelas.com look in the hooks section and they sell them. Id suggest the size number 8's for the gills. They cost about two and a half bucks a pack. hope this helps.

14. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    This doesnt have to do with catching blue gills but any you guys tried team catfish double action circle hooks? I haven't caught a cat with them yet but I nailed a 6# gar and a 4# bowfin. I'll tell you what they sure are sharp!!!!!!!

15. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    well fellas i think your on to something here .circle hooks for blue gills . I've used mustad long shank narrow gap hooks for as long as i can remember and I've had great luck with them for my buddy's boys . There razor sharp and the resistance of the cork is enough to set the hook on most occations. have not had a real big problem with them being swallowed either cause there so long. there easy to get ahold of and pop out.

16. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    I've been using size 8 salmon egg hooks about the same as a circle hook, I let my little nephew and girlfriend use 'em to catch my bait and they work great and available at Wal-Mart

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I use Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks in #8 and they work awesome. You can get them at Bass Pro Shops and any Gamakatsu dealer can order them.

18. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I have thought about this myself, for me though. I can get real lazy if they are not on the bed and hitting regular. Thanks, I will check, but I am pretty sure our Wally World has some about that size. I will let you know.

19. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have picked up circle hooks at Walmart in size 8 and size 10:wink:

20. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Wally world clearance out some really small snelled Matzuo circle hooks a while back out here. I bought all they had for 0.30 a pack w/ 5 rigs per pack. Try looking for those next time you are in there.