Where to get an 8' bunk for my Trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dip, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    one is busted, might as well replace both. on me last trailer i recarpeted one and while it was functional it wasn't purdy. so if anyone knows where i can gittum at a reasonable price over da net i'll say THANX otherwise i'll fab 'em meself.

2. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Dip,

Try Bass Pro Shops. Personally, I'd go buy the lumber and outdoor carpet and do it myself. Can't get much cheaper than that.

Mike

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Get a couple cased of brew and invite your bros over. A whole lot cheaper and the postage from say BasPro will be more than a couple cases of suds. :thumbsup:

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I agree it is easier to make your own.There is a new product out call BUNKAPS that covers the bunk with a very neat PVC cover.It should end having to replace carpet and in fact the company says you don't even need carpet.Just mount the BUNKAPS on your bunk and you are good to go.You can see them at Cabelas website,just click on boating,then go to bunks.Very neat, very nice looking and that is what I am going to do on my trailer.Replacing carpet etc gets to be a pain and quite frankly I don't understand why the trailer maunfacturers don't come out with solid PVC bunks.That would eliminate wood from the equation all together.:)

5. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
    when I bought my pontoon boat the bunks on the trailor were rotton under the carpet, went to the hardware store and bought 18' redwood 2X6s and made my own, for the carpet I bought indoor/outdoor runner carpet so I would not have a splice in the material I used the 2X6 rather than 2X4 thinking it would hold up better, has been three years and still good to go used stainless steel staples rather than the glue may not be as good but made me feel better, the redwood so far shows no sign of rot, hope this helps
    Luck Koda

6. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Jim got me thinking about something(long life bunks) did a little search on composit decks.They make 2x4 pieces that should make great bunks and long lasting;) Sence they are pastic might not need carpet?

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Truck that is a great idea :) Earned you some rep points.I never thought about those even though I am redoing my deck railings with them.Unfortunately my trailer has 2x6s so I'll go with the bunkaps but it is a matter of time before the smart guys start making plastic bunks.Time to eliminate carpet,wood etc.This is a great example of how the BOC works and why everyone contributes something.

8. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Jim they make them in 2x6's also;)

9. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    SQUARE BISCUITS!

thanks men for the input. those bunkaps are a thing of beauty! plastic 2x4's sounds intriguing as well! bunkaps are expensive but they'd probly outlive me! if i knew anything bout rep points i'd throw 'em your way.

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    the problem with the pvc bunks is if your using the short ones on the wood if you have a rivited boat it is a pain the rivits catch and mess up the pvc and at times make it real hard to load the boat. but if its a welded or glass boat go for them they are the best.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dip, look at the little blue square at the top of this post, a screen will pop up, this is how you give rep points.