Where to get a cap and wires?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by shadguts, Mar 31, 2008.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bubba, I have a 1978 90hp mercury inline six. Great engine and have had great service but am in need of a new cap and plug wire set, or think I am. The engine has an intermitten miss on two plugs, numbers 3 and 6. I used a spark tester and when they spark its a good spark but doesn't always spark. The cap and wires have been on it since 78. I have another engine for parts. This cap and wires are the originals also. I changed the two wires and helped no. 6 but not 3. I have checked with napa and oreilly and they cant get the parts. Do you or anyone know where I might order these? Thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You want to use a solid wire for those and not the graphit type. I useualy go to the locak lawn mower shop and buy what ever how much I need off a roll. they buy by the roll and it is 7mm solid wire or solid stranded wire as for the cap I will need a serial number to run that one down.

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Bubba for your quick response. Looks like you have your hands full on here. The serial number for that engine is 5030488. I never though of making my own wires. Thats why I'm a carpenter I guess.