where to fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by nycathunter, May 19, 2008.

1. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    im between rochester an buffalo in orleans county ive found a few good spots for cats but nothing to get excited about ive pulled some nice channels out of the erie canal but its hit an miss and theres not much structure in the canal . is there somthing else i should be looking for? and does anyone know of any good rivers ?

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    hey matt whats up brother i'm in rochester , sure glad to see there is a brother in the hunt foe big cats i have personally whitnessed a 17 lber caught last august on the genesee river . i have also heard tales of big cats in several other places Motazuma refuge and lake Alice where i hooked something once night fishing and never got a look at it but then again i wasnt loaded for bear either that was before the whiskerfish bug bit me , get in touch love to hook up if you are interested some time if so ill send more personal contact info ie. phone number i use verizon if you dont im still free after 9pm.

3. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    hey chris thanks for the reply not to many ny people that target cats it seems. I use to catch some nice channels in the fall while fishing for salmon at night off of the charlotte pier using egg sacs. only problem there is all the people especially after the bars close is summerville side still fishable? i did really well this year at long pond for channels while fishing for bullhead some really nice ones also. i heard they were still hitting but on the parkway side ive never fished lake alice at night only oak orchard river an have caught some cats at the dam on crawdads during the day. never tried liver or anything else there but im gonna give it a shot soon once all this rain lets up

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Wish I was closer guys. I'm not familiar with the waters out that way, but, If you are ever in the Syracuse area I got a few hot spots to share with you. You are right there are not many catters in NY. More for us....LOL I'd say the best lake to consistantly catch cats is Cross Lake Just past Plainville. Although I take larger cats out of Oneida Lake. Oneida has way more public access, but, I've got a buddy with a 20' pontoon on Cross lake. If you areever heading this way drop me a , maybe we can hook up.

Richard

5. Tekim

Tekim New Member

State:
    NY
    Richard

I'm in the Syracuse area - a group of guys and myself have been trying all sorts of ares in the hunt for the mighty channel cat. We have not had much luck. I see from your post you mention Cross Lake, and Oneida Lake... any specific spots that are HOT!

Thanks!

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Tekim i sent you a pm get back to me when you can.

7. HugeEuge57

HugeEuge57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey guys. I used to live in NY, and I think there were some guys that fished for cats, just not enough that know about websites for them. I used to run into quite a few at the lakes I used to fish down state from you guys...they had some luck and almost every lake had them.

I've caught some large cats in the hudson from 2 - 16 pounds.....which I know is far for most of you.