Where to fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by reeftank, Oct 7, 2007.

1. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    I LIVE IN OCALA i grew up on the rock river and mississippi i miss it so my best down here is a 16# in march at moss bluff dam then not so good from then on where is a good place to fish for nice cat by ocala from shore sold my boat geting a fishing kayak i have sonnys danny kings and bowkers and fresh cut bait i here rod man dam is good is it this time of year thanks

2. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Moss bluff dam is nice but I have never caught anything there. Someone on the board said put a boat in and fish at the bridge.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've caught a lot of fish there over the years. I lived in Summerfield for 20yrs. The dam can be really good.
    Try to the right of that steel cable that's after the spill way, pretty hard current but there is fish. Certain times of the year you can fish between the fence in the spill way using White flare hair buck tails for the nice eaters.
    Also 1/2 way between the dam and the bridge there is a big pipe that connects to the other side of the parking. At the end of the pipe in the river there is a hole and some sand flats around there, I would try there. Also after the boat ramp, under and directly past the bridge holds some of the deeper water. I will tell you one thing there is some really big cats in the Oklawaha River but people don't cat fish in there much at all. Be careful of " George " he is a 12' gator the guards the far lock. He and I have always had a understanding that we don't mess with each other. I would stand in the water a he would just sit there and look at me, lol. But just be careful that area is Gator infested. Better use a big leader out there...gators , gar, turtles , and tons of snags. I will keep watching your posts and think of some spots. Its kinda hard because there are tons of places but there aren't any road signs. Lake Griffin is another giant mud hole with gators and cats. Another place is called Nelsons fish camp. Let me know how low the water is out there, I was just wondering how it looks out there now. Oh also there is a dock across the river, its by the road by the " Dam Diner ". I use to catch a lot of bass out there. To bad I don't live there anymore I would take you everywhere. If you ever get the chance hit Yankee town for some nice red snapper and Trout ; )

4. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    moss bluff is always low almost like a pond so slow the lock is just cracked it is like that all the time now i got my 16#in march we had lot of ran water was way up looks a lot diff now i will take a pic and put it up i think i will go to rodman dam thanks for the input this is just way diff than the mississippi and rock that i love so much :big_smile:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, that's why I asked. I was afraid it was gonna be low. I've seen it do that in the past. And yea shoot me a pic if ya ever get the chance, it would be nice to see again. Good luck finding them cats.