where to fish when river is dropping fast!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crazyKat, Jan 15, 2008.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    looking for big cats but it seems when the river is starting to drop fast then the cats hide(atleast from me) where is the best spot to find them in the winter?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jody, I've found that to be a tough time, too, although I've had some decent luck fishing the runoff from tributary streams. As the water falls from the surrounding swamps, there is usually a break line where the stream flow run into the river, and that is the area I target. Often works, but not always, at least for me. I'd love to hear some other ideas, here.
    I'd also like to see our rivers rise enough to fall; we've been in drought for months now. :roll_eyes:

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What river are you referring to?

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The river I fish, the fishing is poor when the water level is dropping. It's the opposite when the river is rising.

5. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    The best place to fish when the river is dropping fast is.... your living room! Beer and Remote in hand, watch fishing shows! :smile2:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    For blues on the MO river, I'll start hitting the deepest holes I can find on a fast drop. Seems like the fish hide out where they know they're not going to get stuck to see what the river's gonna do. Never had much luck on a fast drop, but if its dropping on the day I'm fishing, I'll fish it. If I have a choice, I'm with Eric, I'm on the couch with a remote waiting for it to steady out for a couple of days or start rising. My absolute favorite time to fish is when the water has been stable for a long period of time (5 - 10 days). The bite usually isn't crazy like it can be on a fast rise, but the fish seem to have settled on a routine and are more predictable. Good Luck~

Branden

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    tommy hit it on the nose! fast dropping water conditions means, them flooded creeks and streams are now running water back into the river.. these can be hot spots, esp. if the creek holds a fair amount of baitfish.. those cats will line up waiting for a free meal to eat! after the creeks have slowed, usually the river stabilizes and the fishing gets normal again... if you don't have creeks or streams close by to target, i have found that alot of these fish will tie themself tight to structure when the drop is quick. hope this helps, rollo

8. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Between, Jason, Branden, & Tommy, I think you got it covered!:cool2:

J