Where to fish when no current

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by jason berry, Sep 6, 2007.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I went fishing last night on the Ohio and there was hardly any current at all. we only caught one fish and I fished three good holes. So I was looking for some good advice about what kind of holes to look for when theres no current or should I fish the dam when the river is like this.

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    mouths of creeks can be good at times. and find the channel in your area and try to find a hole in at anchor there. most of the time when the water is this warm and there is no current that fish get down in them holes where the water is cooler and the warm water just runs over top. cuz there is always current just a lot of times its so slight that u cant tell. but get in the channel and find a hole and u should have a better chance at finding fish

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im fishing in 40-45 feet of water in all spots. there is current but, I mean it is very little. I can tell by the way my baits fall, the stuff on top of the water, and my lines arent really wanting to stay tight. I havent tried any mouths of any creeks yet.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you mite get something at the creeks,you never know. i just stay home when the river is dead. thats one thing i love about rivers they are(somewhat) predictable. get in a habit of reading the water guages on the net before you go and you will be able to tell if you need more bait or beer. lol

5. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    That's some of the best advice I have ever heard!

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    You need to drift when the river is like that. I fished 8 hours anchored up a few weeks ago, NOTHING....Started drifting, and we caught 3 fish over 25 pounds in less than an hour.We kept drifting the same spot over and over, and we finally started busting fish out of the hole...Its the only way to go when there is no current.

7. hoosierdaddy47250

hoosierdaddy47250 New Member

State:
    Madison,indiana
    not much current last nite, but they were hitting good ,maybe coincindence,

8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    where on the net do u find the river guages .. especially the one for the ohio.

9. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/rt

This is the site I use for the river just up ahead of my location. Lets me know when its comin up and goin down. Very good info. Hope this helps.

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    drift fishing is not the only way to go to fish when there is no current , you can still set up just like when there is current as long as you know what you are doing. There are several ways to fish when there is no current. fish are still cover oriented.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    river king & slimcat, can you guys enlighten us on your slack current tactics? there is all kinds of info on here about riseing water tactics, but very little talk about slow n low tactics. im sure we all could benefit and appriciate your inputs!

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I dont like to fish when there is no current but if Im in a tournament Ill need to know. The cover situation sounds good Ive been staying away from it this year because I found some good holes that are just deep. But, I guess I could fish for flatheads when there is no current because I know they like moderate current or run to the dams or try drifting. Ive been moving I tried just a little bit of drifting but Ill keep trying. Im still learning because I can usually always catch a fish but I see some people on the worst day possible still pulling in over a 150 pounds of fish.

13. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hey jason ... if u ever need a partner sometime give me a ring... i know a couple good holes that always produce big boys .. ive seen people in the worst fishing conditions bring em out of these holes ... i went lastnight fished from the bank at the evansville riverfront and pulled 2 over 10 lbs and 1 about 8lbs and several small fish ... there are 2 big holes right there that i always hit up when the fish are biting. one is right by the dock that noone hardly knows about more or less fish

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    In a river with no current we do most of are fishing out of the ice chest and do some 12 oz. curls:smile2:.

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Nice, im known to do those same curls ever once in a while

16. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana

Very cool site thanks

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    kurt is rite ,very helpfull info! with dams on a river it can rise and fall even when there has been no rain.

18. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    the ohio has been falling these past few days and with the moon phase like it is ... it just doesnt add up to good fishing to me. i could be wrong .... please someone tell me im wrong ... i know fish still have to bite. ive been using skip jack, 3 different kinds of stink bait, night crawlers, shady, big minnows, livers, garlic salt marinated hotdogs, grass hoppers. gills, what am i doing wrong other than stuck on the bank. usually i can catch some descent eating size cats.