Where to fish this place?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatHunterSteve, Aug 28, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    We have an area here on the New River where the river narrows and goes over a set of rapids and about 20 yards down river flows into about a 35' deep hole and 30 yards below that comes back up to about 12' deep with 2 set of bridge supports in the 12' section. Would you target the shallow drop off below the rapids, the 35' deep hole or the 12' deep section below the deep hole or the down current side of the bridge supports (they are about 5 foot across causing a good current break) for flats? Channels?
    Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd fish the deep 35' hole..This time of year I think they go deep..

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'd fish the front drop off, not in the hle but not on the shallow part in between, most of the time they'll lay on the front and ambush fish as they come down and it gives them a slight current break

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d fish from the bridge supports to the beginning of the 35 ft hole right now.:wink:

5. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    That's really a great question, if I were fishing daylight I would start with the outer edges of the 35' hole on bottom. If nothing I would move down the river and fish the bridge supports. In the evening i would work the shallow end with a lighter weight allowing it to roll and maybe a few floats around the bridge supports. I assume there would be alot of cats moving from the deep hole to the bridge supports at daylight and daybreak.

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I would put on a small weight and throw out into the shallow and let the current carry it into the deep hole.I have fished a spot similar to that and as soon as that bait dropped into that deep hole it was on.We had our limit in about 20 minutes with fish up from 5# to 25#.I cast into the deep hole at first but it didn't works as good as it did when I let the bait drift into the hole.