Where to fish in VA Beach

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by alwayslearning, Aug 24, 2007.

1. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I am not looking for anyone's honey hole just a spot to go catfishing that I don't have to drive an hour and a half to two hours to get and where I have at least a decent shot to catch fish (in a boat) I have fished the Chick and the James but both spots take at least an hour and a half to get to. I went out on Back Bay a couple weekends ago by myself when my wife hurt her back but MAN that is a huge place without knowing where to go and then without gps getting back to where I parked my truck!:smile2: Not to mention with it being so shallow it gets a little rough even when the winds are not that strong. Does anyone have ANY suggestions where I might be able to find a boat ramp within an hour of driving and have a shot at some cats? Of course I bought a new 25hp motor so now I can't even get out on the local city lakes! I sure hope someone can help!

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My daughter & her family live in Pungo on Back Bay. The last couple times I was down there fishing, I tore up some nice cats. They put in there 26 foot boat at Mundis Point, right down from the house. You might want to try that. A hand held GPS isn't too expensive and sure worth having down there.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Try the James near Fort Eustis in Newport News. I fished the dead fleet there quite a bit... guess with security now you can't get to the ships, but all the river is okay up there.

4. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    allways,when i lived at the beach and wanted to go catfishing i'd go suffolk to the black water river or the nottaway river there are some HUGE cats there if you want to know where to launch let me know 1bigblue:cool2:

5. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Put in at the ranger station ramp and go up to hells point creek. Fish the openning to Lagomar. They used to catch some monster channel cats there. When Davises was open the old lady told me that they used to catch channels in the holes at the little narrows and the great narrows. Get a map and try them out.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i wanna know! the only place i know of to launch on the blackwater is in franklin.

7. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    charles,where are you putting out at ?at the mill? I'd launch on 258 in southhampton on nottoway and drive to blackwater!I launched mostly off of south quay road and pretlow not sure on those names,but I can check on them for you,but right below the swinging bridge,I belive that is southhampton co. have you been doing any good down there? Have you ever tried going past the 7-11 on 58 in courtland makeing the first left (leaveing courtland) going down the dirt road to the river and launching on the nottow there some good fishing there to. 1bigblue

8. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    never fished the nottoway, but i want to get out there sometime soon. you know where the franklin paper mill? there is a ramp right there, maybe a mile from 7-11. the few times i have been out there, iv only fished for bowfin and brim. the blackwater has HUGE brim and tons of bowfin. those bowfins pull like a horse!

9. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah, I used to work at the mill. If you are putting out at the mill, the trusses to the right go down stream to the swinging bridge a half mile the boat ramp is on the right. There are some huge cats in there you need to fish on. We used to fly fish the lily pads and caught huge brim and bowfin. But don't forget the stripers when they spawn up there. Where is Cross Stitch? Fish on.
    1bigblue

10. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Ive heard of people catching blues in there, but never really thought to try it. hhmm. maybe this coming weekend i will:big_smile:, i swear that if it can survive in freshwater, its in that river:smile2:. do you know of any decent places to catch some channels around here? preferably ponds.

11. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we usaed to sneak into the mills pond off of gates rd (666) rt #,or the research pond on 58. Johnson nursey on 58 has 2 ponds that they used to let use fish. not many ponds down that way i'll try to remember some more 1bigblue:cool2:

12. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks thats what i was looking for, jut a few names. when you say "sneak into" are these private ponds?

13. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    yeah but the nursery and research will let you fish if you ask.theres what 4 lakes in suffolk you can fish i'd rather fish the river than those lakes though! good luck 1bigblue:cool2: