where to fish in the fall

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kissire911, Sep 6, 2009.

1. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    i fish grand lake all the time for bass and any thing that swims . but never catfish in the fall or winter . this year im going to fish all fall and on the good day this winter. so im lookin for a little help help to were the cats are in the fall and the winter months . i fish from a boat so any spot on the lake i can go

2. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    I just started winter fishing the last couple of years. It's definitely one of the best times for big cats on Grand. From October through February, I'd concentrate mainly on the Sailboat Bridge area and south. Last year I had great success fishing in 40-50 feet of water on the edges of the main channel. Catching shad is harder than catching the cats. Just cruise the channel edges until you find a drop a ledge about 20 foot deep. Then you can anchor and fish the main channel. I did try some drifting the channel in the winter and had pretty good luck. Some days I'd catch more anchored and some days drifting produced more fish. the fish won't be hard to find on the graph. I use a 8 foot diameter throw net. It is almost essential for catching shad in the winter. The shad are often 30-40 feet deep. About January and February, the Twin Bridges area can be extremely good for good eatin sized cats. I usually don't catch much over 20 pounds up there in the winter but I know they're around. If you can get a little run off in January or especially in February, Spring River, right above Twin Bridges is non stop action. Good luck and happy fishing!

3. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    thank for the info and guys keep it coming

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I catch them on Ft Gibson in water that is 5'-15' on the mud flats. Its really good when I have a strong wind blowing into the mud flats. If I can't get fresh shad I will use frozen skip jack or shad. This year I am going to use Secret 7 dip bait some to see how it works. November thru February are the best times for me.