Where to fish in Smithfield?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by kylekutta, Apr 11, 2007.

1. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Going to be fishing in Smithfield April 21-22.I have never fished that far up on the Neuse and was looking for some direction.I belive there is a ramp in town I think that is where we are putting in.Should I go up or down from there,is there a dam,I dont want to know of any holes unless you really want me to tell me.Just looking alittle info for that area.Thanks alot!

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are two ramps in town. One is off 70 business right in downtown behind the Little Brown Jug. Coming from Clayton it would be your first left after you cross the river. That ramp is free.
    the other ramp is off 301. Coming from Clayton you would go through downtown, turn right on 301. When you cross the river there is a baitshop on the right and a building supply warehouse behind it. If you go behind the building supply there is a pay ramp privately owned. Its a steep ramp and you may need a 4x4.
    When you put money in the collection I would highly suggest you put it in an envelope with your tag number written on the envelope. That fella will have vehicles towed in a heartbeat for fudging the pay box.

You'll want to go downriver . It gets real shallow above Smithfield but I would take it easy if I'd had never been there regardless of which way I went.

3. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish that area a lot. Down from the lumber yard is deeper on average but I fish between the Brown Jug and lumber yard more cause I know it better and most folks dont go in there cause it's so shallow. A buddy pulled a 55lb flat from that 1-2 foot water last year:smile2:

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    so I take it you need a really light flat bottom boat to fish there. How is the bottom, is it rocky or just muddy like further down river. What is the best all around bait for that stretch of river, bream or eels. What is the average depth at normal pools so I can judge the depth with the increased rain. Just don't want to mess up my lower unit or $400 prop. Are there many holes there or is it just a very shallow area all around, are any big blues caught up that way. Thanks for all the help.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    So no one can answer my questions.????

6. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Jay, I talked to a guy from smithfield on the phone. He says no rocks in the area, rocks are still about 20 miles up river. He says there should be water there and there are a few stumps and sand bars like fishing Kinston. No big look outs just normal stumpy river.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Ok well I will probably come up there then, still trying to get some eels but with little luck. Still have to catch bream also, trying to start a business so time is tight.

8. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    I fish in smithfield some the bottom ranges from mud and silt to sand. there is no normal pool that i have found it depends on rain fall and falls dam. right now no worries about bottom for me because last i saw river was up . I fish a14 foot jon boat but have drug bottom before ,normal is anywhere from .5-4 feet with some holes here and there just watch out for big log floaters and underwater fixed logs. I use cut shad and live gills for cats and worms for gills. I fish generaly around log jams and creek mouths upstream is swift creek and down stream blacks .hope you have good luck and that these and these opinions help.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I just went to the river. It looks to be about 3 feet higher then it was last weekend.
    The bite went with the higher water.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I figure by saturday it should probably be ok, especially since its supposed to warm up a lot on sat and sunday. Are the shad still running, or is this year just crappy for them. I didn't hear too many times when they were thick.

11. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    The baitshop at the lumberyard generaly has eel at 1.25 each
    never tried`em myself don`t get much chance to go,but plan to
    go friday evening, maybe stay on boat all nite.

12. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sorry I didnt get back sooner. No rocks except one little spot above swift creek(400 yards?) before the hard right turn(going up). There is a little spot where a big rock juts out on the left(going up) but it is really big and low and flat. It is easy to see when the water is low and the water rushes across it, just stay to the inside of that turn and you will be ok. Otherwise, very muddy and sandy, and shallow in the summer. Easy to plug your water pump if you are not careful.

There are a few rocky places between the jug and handy andy(hwy 70 bridge) and some deep holes where you see the rocks on the right(going up). This area above the jug is fished very little and there are some good fish in there, but you better have a 4wd boat in the summer.

Above the 1006 bridge in wilson's mills there are a lot of rocks and when the water is low, dont try to go above the big island about a mile or so above the bridge. Anywhere from there up is death to props unless the water is pretty high(not often except after a heavy rain or hurricane in the summer).

Eels dont work as well as they seem to on the CF for some reason and bluegills and redbreast sunfish are the best. Use them up to about 5-6 inches live(I love a lively 4"er) and save the dead ones as cut gills work too untill the really hot summer arrives(mid june).

A slip sinker rig with a 4 oz flat or egg sinker works well. I use 50lb mono leaders pre-tied with gamakatsu 8-0 octopus circles and 80lb powerpro braid. Fish close to woody structure, be quiet and patient. Creeks mouths are either hot or dead and no one I know has figured out when it will be either. The bite is best when the water is low in my experience, and the biggest fish seem to prefer slow water, deep or shallow around wood. I have caught some 20-28lbers in a foot of water. A friend caught a 55lb flat(digital scale, no cheating) in 2 feet of water. Here is a pic of it being held by my bro-in-law.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/ponykilr/Picture167.jpg

My personal best fish came from black creek's mouth, but that place is either on or off, and off a lot more than on.

Hope I helped, I have not been able to fish as much so far this year, but I know the area well and it is home.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Some of the best fishing is above where no boat should go because no boats go there:big_smile: It gets alot of fishing pressure from the jug down past the 95 bridge.
    We've had alot of success with big fish from below Clayton all the way to Raleigh. It gets canoed but the fishing pressure is almost nonexistent for the majority of the river because folks just arent willing to put in the effort either hiking in or paddling up and down current to get to some good spots to set up for some bank fishing.

14. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You are right mark, it is a major excursion to fish up that way, but I think there are some big fish there. The river around Neuse Colony has some nice fish, but unless you have a half-million dollar home in there you cant bank fish and it is some kind of rough on jon boats unless the water is high. I have never fished toward Raleigh, I may try it sometime.

15. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sat.morning my son and i done the dumbest thing. we launched our 15ft.
    alum v-hull [with the 40hp ob.] at 42 bridge, made it about 1/2mile or so
    down stream to the old basin hole. or golf course now. fished about an
    hour to no avail, noticed a small rock jetty or waterfall a hundred yards or
    so down river. decided to investigate, but when we arrived we discovered
    their was no water to operate the outboard to turn back up river.
    next our 36lb thrust trolling motor wasn`t enough power, so our journey
    began..down river.after 2.5hours of keel draging,rock slamming boat bangin we cleared 5th or 6th mini water fall. back to about a foot or so
    of water we dropped our trolling motor and continued down river
    [nerves a little frayed] but none the worst for wear. stopped only once for a large log jam too enticing to pass up fished maybe 1hr then moved
    on ,finally arriving at the city ramp at 7pm.
    we`ll never try this again without a canoe. chris n.c.

16. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I love to float from 42 down....but only when the river is high:smile2:

It is an experience for sure.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Back in the early 80's we rode the river from Poole Rd. in Raleigh to the ocean. 26 of of us I believe it was. We made the front page of the Raleigh Times which at one time was the competition for the N&O.
    Our first night we camped at Smithfield in the park behind the jug.
    To give you an idea how high the water was there was no ramp. No sign of a ramp. I have a picture with a street light down there that is in the water 20-30 foot from the bank. We pitched tents on asphalt.
    Oh yea she was rockin.

High water is dangerous and it seems like it would make a quick trip.
    It doesnt. It makes a harder slower trip. More then once we had to break ranks and paddle several hundred feet out into the woods outside the river banks to get around log jams. One instance I saw our scout canoe sucked right out from under its two passengers and spit back out of the water 50 yards downstream. Fortunately the two occupants had been holding onto a stationary tree at the time and thats where they were left hanging.
    It took 2 solid 10 hour days to get all of us through the mashes.
    It took another 2 days to get on the other side of Goldsboro.
    Thats 5 days from Raleigh to Goldsboro. Its 45 minutes by car:big_smile:

Cliffs of the Neuse state park was closed due to flooding.

I want to do it again one day but on a relaxed pace. I paddle one day if I feel like it and I just drift another day or fish all day.

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was fishing with a buddy of mine in the big Pee Dee River in a tournament. We were between Cheraw,SC and Society Hill,SC when this guy comes motoring by us in this crazy looking conaoe skiff looking thing with a tent on it that was on April 7th. Later that afternoon we were headed back to the weigh-in and this guy by himself was sideways floating in the river and we stopped and asked if he needed help and he said no I am on a river trip. Well to make a long story short 5 days later I was fishing in Georgetown,SC all the way at the coast with a friend of mines son when he said that is a funny looking boat and it was that same guy floating down the river. I hollored at him and he just waved and kept on floating. I reckon he wasnt lying when he said he was on a river trip.

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I saw that same boat rig on the peedee closer to Georgetown, below thouroughfare creek. I started slowing down to idle by, but he waved me on; looked almost like two boats tied together for stability...:crazy:

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thats the one Tommy looked like to canoes tied together.