where to fish in Columbia

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by sicktight722, Feb 23, 2009.

1. sicktight722

sicktight722 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey yall. A buddy of mine and me are wanting to do some fishing in/around Columbia. Hes from Rockhill, I'm from Florence and we both have never been fishing down here and really don't know how to find any spots to go fishing at. We won't have a boat, so we'll be fishing from the bank. I guess i'm asking if yall could give me some places to try out. We have both heard to go to the dam at lake murry, but there always seems to be alot of ppl there. I'm not asking for yalls secrets spots, just somewhere to some fishing, nothing major, probably wouldn't even be a problem, lol.:roll_eyes:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I was in school in Cola I used to fish in the Congaree River right below the Gervais street bridge. There was a little dirt access on the Columbia side. Things have probably changed around there since then, though. I think there might be a park there on the west side now - you might be able to bank fish there. Anyway, we used to catch a lot of small channels and baby stripers (undersized, but fun) there in the spring.

There's also a boat landing down river a bit on the Cola side near Olympia - you'd have to find it on a map, I don't remember the name of the road. I'm sure you could fish off the bank there.

You also can fish behind the Riverbanks Zoo. Just go to the far end of the right side of the parking area and walk the path down around the rocks. Mostly folks fish for stripers there, but I have caught a few channels there, too.

In either spot (especially at the zoo) watch out for rising water. When they open the gates at the Lake Murray dam the water on the Saluda rises pretty fast. You don't want to get stranded out on a rock.

By the way - cast net shad for cut bait for the cats or fish them live under a float for stripers or cast poppers and swimming plugs (jerkbaits) for the stripers.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    John welcome to the BOC from the Pee Dee Catmasters right here in your backyard Florence, SC.:wink: Good luck with the fishin up there in Cola.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome to the BOC!
    I make trips up on the rivers around Columbia, but don't ever take time to fish, but I would agree with JAinSC as far as fishing sites in the area. Also Rivercatsc is dead on about all the great fishing in your home area.

5. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,

The boat landing is at the end of Rosewood Drive near Jaco's Beer Tavern and the Fair Grounds. You can park at the landing and walk up or down river from there or fish at the landing.

I think the landing is named after Barney Jordan?

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    John welcome to the BOC! Jainsc pretty much hit it on the head. The (Gervais st.) park is called Riverfront and fishing is allowed, very fun and fast when the stripers are running. Look into Saluda Schoals park also. It is located behind the dam and very good fishing. It cost a penny or two to get in but worth it, very beautiful. They rent canoe's and you can paddle right up to the back of the dam, almost, and fish. There are trout a plenty there as well as striper and catfish. I also think fishing is allowed at the SCE&G piers located on the Lexington side of the lake on the way to Saluda on Hw. 378, there are signs for them. Have fun and post your catches, we would love to hear your fishing tales!:wink:

7. sicktight722

sicktight722 New Member

State:
    SC
    thanks for all the replies guys. For the record we both live in columbia for school, but we both go home a lot for hunting and fishing, and figure it would be cheaper just to start doing it down here. lol. I'll definitely look into the places yall suggested. Plus once I see how much I have left after some bills, I might be able to get a small jon boat with my leftover tax money. Thanks again yall, this seems to be a pretty friendly place, so yall might start seeing some more of me around.:tounge_out:

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Don't be shy!:wink: