Where to fish Canyon Lake for catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by topjimmy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I have been water skiing on Canyon Lake for more than 15 years, but I have only been catfishing for a few years. I have never fished for cats at Canyon except twice from the shore by the first bridge.

I know there are people who catch a lot of channel cats there, and I have heard that there are a few flatheads there as well.

So where are the best places to fish Canyon? The water there is DEEP with very few shallow spots. The water at the upper end of the lake is considerably colder than the water at the lower end. I am wondering if/how this affects the areas that the cats hold in. Maybe the dam at the lower west end of the lake would be a good place to start?

Also, any tips on catching those monster carp near the marina?

TIA.

2. chaz9071

chaz9071 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm not sure about Canyon Lake, but in Havasu, we've had more luck on the Southern end near the dam. The water gets deeper and colder more quickly and the cats and striper seem to come out of the deep to the shallow areas to feed.

Hope that helps.

3. chaz9071

chaz9071 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've had luck after chumming with dogfood. I have just used worms to catch them on
    but I've heard everything from Velveeta to corn.

It has been quite a few years since I've fished for carp though.

They are a heckuva fun fish to catch. I've never eaten them but some
    people have said they do.

4. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have never fished Canyon, but i'd start up river where the water is coming out of Apache and work my way down toward main lake. Looking for points that run out into the main channel or the few shallow spots that you were talking about. Making sure these spots have concentrations of baitfish, some cover and quick access from shallow to deep water. If the point or cover is acting as some kind of a current break, that is a plus. I have seen and caught Flatheads 30 to 50 lbs in 50 degree water. So i know it can be done.
    The constant cold water probably has its upside and downside. The downside being, that is probably why ther is fewer flatheads there. The constant cold water causes less of them to go into spawn mode so fewer fish reproduce. That along with very few shallows causing even less fish to reproduce. The upside could be, if the water stays a constant cold, say above 50 degrees they may just eat all year round. Causing them to stay fat. Being a cold blooded species thier metabilism will be slower so a big meal will go along way. They will eat less often but should pack on good weight from not burning it off. Cold water might mean less Flatheads, but it might mean big fat ones too.

As for the Carp. I would see what people are throwing them to eat that is making them that big. Then try some of that. Even experiment with corn, flour tortiilas or dough balls. Throw a hand full in at the same time you throw a hooked peice in with no weight trying to float the bait and hold on.

Sorry for the novel. I like to talk fish. :big_smile:
    All these rambling are just that, ramblings. I couldn't tell ya if i am right or wrong. :smile2: