where to fish at coffeen lake for flats and blues

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by TEAM CATTER, Jan 14, 2008.

1. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i'm looking for somewhere new to fish in the winter for blues and flats.?i heard coffeen is alot calmer then baldwin in bad weather.so where are some go fishing hole or general areas?

2. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Coffeen is one of my favorite lakes to fish in the late fall-winter-early spring months. However, from your post I'm guessing you are looking for BIG cats. There are some huge flatheads present but I usually target the over population of channels. It is easy to stock your freezer with 1 to 2 lb. channels any where in the coves up close to the dam. Chicken livers and Sonny's dip bait will usually get you all you want to clean. Hope this helps.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Coffeen has some great flatheads. Try the flats across from the dam or steep drop offs as you move up the hot ditch. The problem right now is that coffeen is so low on water it is nearly impossible to launch a boat. You can bank fish the dam with live gills of an evening . good luck. If I was driving from very far. I sure would take a day and check it out first before I drag a boat up here right now until we get some rain. JMHO

4. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Glad to see somrone besides me talking about Coffeen. I love the Place!

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    With out a doubt on the water Tim! Bad low, they have added rock at the ramp but it is still beyond "launch at yer own risk" make sure ya have a chain for a tow if need be, (NO JOKE) don't think you will do real good on the Blues but there are some fine flats in there, this time of year I would target what Bearcat has said, also the big hump right across from the dam (if in a boat) and any where up in the channel find ya a shelf on the edge of the drop-offs and either drift them slow or set and wait. Good Luck!
    Randy

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Oh the rock they added is a bit deceiving, it stops right at the edge of the old prop washout! you drop of that and its about 6-8' right now.

7. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One very important thing!!! You WILL probably get to meet a consevation officer. I have never got my license checked as many times anywhere- they all seem like nice people though- just doing their job

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea if ya ain't doing anything wrong then no worry right :wink:,

9. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I know what you are saying about Baldwin. The water can get very scary. I have a little 14ft V bottom Jon and I have only had one outing on Coffeen lake that scared me. I have no problem getting my boat on Coffeen right now but I keep my truck tires on the concrete. Coffeen has a 25hp limit also. I have never caught a Blue out of Coffeen, just flats and channels. Water level is way down as everyone has said, I would check the lake out in the daylight the first time around, no curfew on this lake. The lake is safe as long as you are careful and the fishing is good. I'd rather fish Baldwin if the weather cooperates. Those Blues are fun!:wink:

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    im gonna tell u like this,im from litchfield,its a town like 15 miles away maybe 20.as a kid i would always hear stories about coffeen.this one dude told me he fishes with 5 gallon buckets jug fishing,he said one night one went under,never came back up.ive heard alot more.then i thought well if these guys r telling the truth im going to fish that lake until i catch a pig.well it took Dan and i a couple years to figure out how to get these fish on a regular basis.like i said before theres is not one spot on the lake that is good,THE WHOLE LAKE IS GOOD.now u have to understand there r not any blues in here just flathead.ALOT of times there tricky to get,all i have to say is patience.now if ur after channel cats use little shad little gills liver stink bait.u wont have any trouble with channel cats theres alot.if its ur first time there dont go to the hotditch and stay past dark unless u know that lake.IT IS VERY NOT SAFE RIGHT NOW.If yall remember on new years eve Dan and i went out,went to hotditch,it got really windy so we thought we better head back,as much as we know that lake,we almost didnt make it.so just go check it out during the day u will have alot of places to fish besides the hot ditch its a fun lake to be on,once we get a little rain we will be ok.u should have no trouble launching ur boat they fixed it up a little,just keep ur tires on tha concrete.dan and i dont have any trouble with it anymore.All i have to say is its my favorite lake......PEACE

11. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    thank guys for the info. i'll wait till the water level comes up a bit,but in the meantime how the fishing at powerton????

12. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    can you jug fish for channel cat at coffeen??? i like to catch of 2&3 pounders for a fish fry

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Is there a horse power/ boat size restriction on Baldwin Lake?

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes you can jug fish at Coffeen, you just have to "run" your jugs, meaning that you have to be on water while running them. There are several that do and it still never seems like they're are many out there at any given time. But to answer again YES you can jug fish there....... And on any given night/day you will have more than ya want for eating fish.

15. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    thanks randy for info about jugging.be you know what area are the best for channels.to answer your question dan ,yes the limit is a 50 horse.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just about everywhere Victor, but most of the time you will find getting back into one of the many coves is great, keeps the wind at bay on them days that are blowing, as far as where, depending on the time of year but just about any spot you pick will be good for the eatn size cat.

17. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    thanks,randy for the info. now i have to get a day off and just off my butt an go fishing

18. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    ferrari79 Baldwin has a 50hp limit - No size limit on boat but when I put my 24ft pontoon on the lake. The ramp has boulders behind the concrete ramp that my trailer was hitting. The depth is always good there. Most boats trailers will never reach the boulders. A larger boat works better on that lake. Waves get big in a hurry there.

19. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like I really need to make a trip up to this lake and give her a try...My wife and kids would have a ball catching those channels...

Thanks for the tips folks,

20. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Now THAT is a very good, informative post. that is exactly what i like to see on the BOC. thanks!