Where to find the catfish on the Alabama River around Montgomery???

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by chillywater, Jun 6, 2007.

1. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    I am new to the area and will be heading out the the alabama river from the ramp on the norhtern bypass.
    any ideas on the best areas to reel in a few cats?

thanks

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Donald Welcome to the BOC. Were a big family. Glad you decided to be a part of it. :0a25::0a25::0a18:

3. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the welcome, looks like a great place to be.:cool2:

4. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i used to live in montgomery one of the better places i fished there was cooters pond in prattville right after u pass over the river bridge on 31 after u launch head down river to the big rock wall there's plenty of cover and plenty of cats too

5. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the input, i will give it a shot and see what happens.
    i was thinking of putting inand just working my way down river looking for good spots. hope to find a nice sandy bank with a good eddie to tight line and make camp for the evening.

will let you know how it goes.

6. backedde

backedde New Member

State:
    missouri
    welcome to boc you will like it

7. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you put in @ Montgomery and head down river to Tallawasee creek the fishing is pretty good there. Also hit swift creek on the way through. Alot of jugging going on in Catoma creek but my luck has been slim there.

8. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
  9. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I used to go up river from Montgomery Marina. In the first big curve in the river, I've had some luck there. Also, on up river from there where the old bridge used to be, I've had a couple hammer a hook that I never turned around. I always used to use live shad, but they are very difficult to keep alive in this heat. You can catch them at the water treatment discharge behind UPS. I'd use small bream in this heat.

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Forget Cooter's pond. The Bass masters have messe dthe joint up. The water is most often too low and the bass fishermen won't let you fish from around the marina.

If you landlocked head for Lay dam (about 30 minutes north on 65). It's definately worth the drive. There is only two peers to fish from...disregard them both and fish from the bank directly accross from the boat launch. I have had my best luck from cut bream fishing under slipfloats as far as you can cast from shore.

If you have a boat, put out anywhere you can in montgomery and head for the waters right outside Maxwell AFB. The overhanging branches should have many marks from my limb lines. Find where the current has undercut the bank and limbs have washed up. Throw cast nets for bait and fish it live about 20" off bottom right angainst the bank...hang on for some really nice flatheads.

goods luck

11. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    dcuruthers, I am 2 dams below you on the Al River, just curious how deep is the water you been fishing for the flatheads?

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm still learning myself....I'll be out there tomorrow. I caught my PB 40lb flat close to catoma creek. Gonna B@*$ fish earlyfor a couple hours, then catch some bream and set out some cat lines in some good spots the rest of the day. I am going to do some searching for some good holes. Think I'll launch at Cooters, I have one spot up river I want to try and then I think I'll run down past catoma creek and see what I can find down there. I have a couple spots in mind that may be good, but I can't recommend them until I see what they produce. I'll let ya'll know tomorrow night if I do any good.

Good Fishin
    mike

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    No luck. Got a few good bites but they didn't get hooked up. Couldn't fish the best spot I wanted due to the bass tournement going on... one of those guys was right on top of it...so I tried some other spots. I need to get out and fish a full night soon. The days are just too hot.

Good Fishin
    mike

14. gatecitycattin

gatecitycattin New Member

State:
    nc
    I like fishing up around the bridge with some cut shad. Good luck!

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh I keep telling myself to spend some time concentrating on the bridges. I mostly use bream, gotta find me a place to catch some shad though, any suggestions?

Good Fishin
    Mike

16. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Go upriver nearly to the toll road bridge. There's a water treatment discharge right there, you can see a 36" pipe coming out of the river bank. Use a cast net right there, but only allow it to sink about 5 ft. It'll get hung on whatever is down there.

On the way back, stop at the bridge pilings (middle one) and tie off to the metal ladder. I've hung into a couple there that I never turned around. I don't know what they were, but they were darn big.

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good info thanks, is that the discharge someone said was behind UPS? I haven't been up that far yet, last time I went down river past catoma and tried some deep holes but no luck. Hopefully this weather will be cooling of some now and it will be bearable to stay out ther all day. I need to do some nights also and put out some limb lines for the night and get some rods out.

mike

18. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, that's the place. I'm actually catching my fish on a hump on Jordan. Most of the water around it is 35-60 ft. I found a nice shoal in the middle of the lake that averages around 22ft. I have a 70 hook line out and (please don't flame me) but I've caught as many a 11 fish on bare hooks. I don't know how or why, but an old timer told me that they will strike at the glint of the hook.

Try to find a shelf or hump near a hole and see how that pans out for you.

19. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Lee,
    Thanks for the info brother, if you ever want to meet up out on the river or jordan sometime, let me know. i usually fish alone unless one of the kids wants to go.
    mike

20. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    went riding and looking esterdaqy and saw where swift creek comes into the river south about 9 miles south of gunter campground.
    man that place looks fishy, 5-10 feet deep with stupms everywhere. anyone had any luck here, if not i will update after wee give it a shot.:smile2: