Where to find skipjack in North Carolina?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by miichael, May 16, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I been reading and doing some research and i see a lot of people use skipjack. What is skipjack and where can i get some? I plan on going to Norman this weekend and would love to try to find some skipjack somewhere and give it a try.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    miichael i hear there is a lot of herring in lake norman. look around the hot hole area. i been getting the odd one or two here and there at badin and tillery.

4. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    The skipjack herring (Alosa chrysochloris) is closely related to shad and alewives. Anglers know it by many nicknames, including nailrod (my favorite), river herring, golden shad, river shad, skippy and blue herring.

Hook one of these silvery, streamlined fish (not to be confused with the much larger black skipjack or skipjack tuna of saltwater notoriety), and the reason for its proper name becomes immediately apparent. It skips across the surface of the water like a flattened stone, leaping again and again and again — a miniature tarpon of sorts.

The skipjack is beautiful, as well. When seen racing across the water, pursuing the small fishes that comprise most of its diet, its symmetry and color catch the eye. The iridescent blue-green back and silvery sides flash in the sun.

Skipjacks inhabit open waters of large freshwater rivers and occasionally wander into brackish and saltwaters along the Gulf Coast.

They're not good to eat. They don't get very big. They have no status. But fishing for skipjacks is among the best of all ways to enjoy a day outdoors.

They range from the upper Mississippi River Valley to the Gulf and Florida to Texas.

I have never heard of anyone catching any of these in our area. I would think a shad would work just as well . If I'm wrong about them please post and let me know.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fihing fred blue back herring was stock in badin lake a few years ago. i caught 3 yesterday and 1 today at badin the cast net. i don think the herring and shad mix together that much but i could be wrong on that. most of the time i catch them there are no shad or very few. when i get shad i get very few herring.

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I read a lot on here about using skipjacks for bait, but I know that we don't have them in Badin or Tillery or anywhere close that I know of. We have 4 types of baitfish. We got threadfin shad, gizzard shad, blueback herring, and alewife herring. Alewifes and bluebacks look very similar. The main difference is that herring are more slender fish, where alewives are thicker and fatter. They both make good baits though. I know stripers love them. I do better with them in the summer months though, but that might be ecause mainly that's what I use since there are millions up by the dam on Badin.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    rookie so the blueback herring and skipjack herring are two different fish? i read somewhere they where the same. i know at santee certain times of the year they sell big bluebacks that may weight 1-2lbs. if they are different do you know how big a blueback will get in size? biggest for me at badin 10inches or so.

8. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    bluback and skipipies are not the same.....

blueback scientific name is alosa aestivalis

skipjacks scientific name is alosa chrysochloris

i suggest this book to any person who fishes in nc

THE FRESHWATERFISHES OF NORTH CAROLINA

this book wasput together by edward f menhinic, it is a compiling of data collected by bioloigist, .....shows where a certain species was collected(caught by bioloigist,nets, shocking ect)........this book says skippies are hypothetical in our tennesee river drainages, but then says that no skippies have ever been collected in nc.

tha alosa family includes the american shad, bluebacks, alewifes, skipjacks, and hickory shad.

gizzard shad and threadfin shad belong to the dorosoma family.....

i purchased this book at the nc museum of natural sciences for 35 dollars...................well worth 35 dollars.........hope this helps mack

9. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    book says bluebacks get 20-30 cm long....skippies 35-40cm long.........which they would use inches!!!...mack

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I plan on trying to catch shad or herron on lake norman. any tips where some shad are on the lake this time of year?

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I havent fished norman but 2 times in my whole life so any tips for catfishing on norman would be great.

12. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    For reference, 25cm is equal to 10 inches, so the skipjack can get up to about 16"

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This time of the year I would be looking in the shallower water or flats - 10 to 4'. Any shallower they're harder to net. Do you have a depth finder? Easiest way is to put a light in the water at night. It's really hard to say exactly where they will be, Norman is a big lake, try mouths of creeks or perhaps the back of the coves with creeks feeding into them, but be sure to watch for debris. Primary points to catch catfish after dark: shallower water with a dropoff, anchor down and fish the edge of the dropoff. Anytime:the mouths of the creeks on the downstream side, main part of the lake. Inside bends. Some of the underwater humps or mounds up around Long Island. Any vertical structures - piers, pylons, bridges, steep rock faces in deep water.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey, I was answering the shad question, not the skipjack one!

15. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    try bait shops around the beach