Where to find shad?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 15, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I need to know where to find shad. Can sombody tell me, that would help alot.Thank You.

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I see from your profile that you primarily fish the Ohio River. The best place to find shad is up in the creeks off of the river this time of year. Good luck!

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I catch them up in the creeks year round, I also catch them at the mouths of creeks this time of year.

4. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can you chum an area and use a casting net for shad?

5. DadnGirls

DadnGirls New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm Fishing the Illinois River 12 mile Island slough, fairly muddy water, with no obvious schools, what is the sign of shad in the area? Early Evening or Morning topwater flicks?

6. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    if you dont have a castnet, it is virtually impossible to catch shad, you don't have to chum an area to catch them, just go to the mouth of a creek or a boat ramp and start throwing, i would try the creek first.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    im not sure, but if there is muddy water you should look for birds diving in in a concentrated part of water, there is usually shad then striper! im not sure but this is what i heard!

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The way Shad always seem do move, I try for them in the fastest water first, if they are not there, I try a feeder creek. In lakes, I look for sign. Birds and/or ripples. Also near the docks and ramps. I also have found them where a drainage pip hangs in the river. I don't know if it is different current, or more oxygenated.Those are the high percentage spots for me.

9. Catalac

Catalac New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i catch them from underneath a pipe that hangs down over the water. i catch a lot of them when the water is turned on and coming out of the pipe