Where to find Shad in the Winter

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone...I was just wondering where is the best place to find shad one the Missouri riverin the Winter time?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Hey Matt-it's been a while! Find the wing dams with a cutout next to the bank. Be careful slipping behind the wing dam, and throw your net into the hole behind that cut. Was out two weeks ago, and didn't have much trouble netting shad.

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey Matt, I fish the Mo. all year long. I find shad below the wing dikes in the calm, deep water. some days they will be in shallower water. Especially if the sun is bright. Some dikes are better than others. Just work your way around the hole. I have found that one dike I frequent has held shad all this cold weather period. Good Fishin One and All. Bob

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It has been awhile Doug...Have you had any luck?? Now that hunting is about done, I need something to do so I figured about Feb. I will start hitting the Missouri again. Is shad the best bait this time of year? Thanks for the help! Good luck on the water!!!

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Was on the river Jan 1, and we had some luck-catching bait that is. Only got a few bites, probably won't hit the river again until the water starts warming up.

6. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt, I haven't been out fishing lately. I usually wait until the end of archery season to head out. However, when its cold like this I have always in the past found many shad wherever there was a warm water discharge like labadie powerplant and around different industrial plants near the city. Usually the shad are stacked in there and it only take a few throws. Good luck

Tony

7. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    I usually find em in the same areas that i find em in during the summer, only difference is that i go out away from the sandbar or bank or whatever it is, into deeper water, thats where i find em
    they seem to be in the same area but in deeper water.

hope that makes sense