Where to find shad in Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Jun 15, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    going out this weekend do anyone know where to get some shad? all my shad holes are dry. really need to restock

2. catfishjo

catfishjo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The best place I know is Bagnal Dam, Were driving 2 hours extra just to get Bait. I fish mainly at Truman Dam.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Joe. That is a long way to drive for bait. Better be catching a lot of cats.

4. haden

haden New Member

State:
    Frankford, MO
    around the dams if you can get to them

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I am planning on going to Bagnell Dam tomorrow. I'll let you know how the shad situation is up there and if I catch anything.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You're working way too hard. There's plenty of shad in Drake Harbor at Warsaw... Had all I needed in 3 throws yesterday afternoon. But I'm probably different than most of you, in that I don't just throw the net blindly -- instead, I use my sonar to locate schools of shad before I throw.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ditto, thats what I do when they are down deep in the creek channels. I've been finding them lately in 3 inches of water up on the mud banks. All the tributaries are packed with bait right now.

8. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I went 2 nights ago on mississippi south of Festus and found plenty of shad all about 6" long in a little creek next to boat ramp they were along the weeds in the water

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Willie, if you're fishing up there in Alton, then you know where the Lincoln Shields area is...If you walk along the river over there by the look out tower, throw your net there along the brick wall, I guarantee you will find some shad there.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Willie, I was below the dam at alton yesterday. Shad were all along the rocks. dont let your net hit bottom though. you will surely loose it. If you have a boat, just below the ramp there is a little inset that holds a lot of shad. I even got a skipjack about 12 inches long

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don’t let anyone kid you Willie.. There is shad everywhere in these rivers that can be found rather than driving to a dam. Dams are just one of the better places to find them. You can find them in the hot water ditches by power plants. Just about any creek that pours into a river they will be found. They are around and under barges or anything parked and anchored. They are all along rocked shores although you have to be more careful with your net, don’t let it go all the way to the bottom is the key there. You will find them by willow trees in the shallows. They are all over, you just have to know where to look for them….

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I couln't agree more! Shad are everywhere. Heck, I just pulled in a creek yesterday and probably got 40 or so in just a couple of casts of my net.