Where To Find Shad in Kentucky ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Cherokee, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I live in salyersville,ky and was wonding does any ky brothers close place for me to find some shad. ive heard so much about them now i want to try them !!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't know where taylorsville is but if you can get to the ohio right now, they are plentifull along the banks. Just toss out a castnet and walla!!!

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    salyesville am 20 miles for paintsville lake or dewy lake. magoffin county

4. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Any small creek empting into a river should have shad right now, also at the dams. I never saw so many in my life before. They are great catfish bait. If you could get to Versailles I would take you to get some and you could freeze enough for the year.

5. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    below the spillway at Dewey Lake....all up and down the creek there is loaded with them

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Man thats was what I was gonna say:big_smile: Ive been flyfishing bluegill off the bed in that stream the last week or so and it is full, big shad to. If you have a cast net you can net shad in dewey as well. If Im not mistaken though that creek is classified as a trout stream so Im not sure if you can use a cast net below the spillway?? You can use a dip net with up to a 3 feet diameter though.

7. brandonp005

brandonp005 New Member

State:
    Paintsville, Kentucky
    you know man i never thought about that stream being like that and possibly not allowed to use a throw net....the other day i threw mine out and there was a shit ton of people, nobody said anything but there wasn't a game warden there either

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Im really not sure. I havent checked the regs. I just know some of the you cant. I hope you can cause its full of shad. You get many out of there??

9. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If the lake is under 300 surface acres your not allowed to use a cast net, if the spillway is a dam you have to be several feet from it Im not sure how far though.

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Yes, its just tzhe trout stream part Im not sure about.

11. dwestep

dwestep New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just to kinda revive this thread a bit I just thought I would mention that you are not allowed to use a cast net anywhere that trout are stocked.. In other words, you cannot cast net in places like ::

Dewey spillway (the lake is OK for cast netting)
    Paintsville lake or tailwaters (spillway)
    Fishtrap spillway (lake should be OK for cast netting)
    Yatesville spillway (lake should be OK for cast netting)

I got this from :: http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/2011fishguidetroutwaters.pdf

Its a complete listing of places where trout are stocked.. Unfortunately anywhere that trout are stocked is not a legal cast netting spot..

12. kearockandstone

kearockandstone New Member

State:
    New Liberty, Ky
    craigs creek near markland which is just across from beltara

13. Mo J-Em

Mo J-Em New Member

State:
    Sullivan, Mo.
    I know we use shad guts alot. Question i have is sometimes they arent that ease to catch. or find i guess i should say. So when i am able to get into a bunch, what is the best way to gut and freeze a bunch to later thaw and use em. Thanks in advance to all tips.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Most people freeze them whole to use later for cut bait.. Vacuum seal is best and will last longest in the freezer, but zip-loc bags works well too..

15. barmstrong

barmstrong New Member

State:
    kentucky
    how far away r u from petersburg ky? if not that far i willl take u out sat and get u enough shad for the year! and possibly some skipjack!