where to find lead for sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by snoman774, Feb 21, 2008.

1. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    ok guys ive been looking but cant find out about where to get lead for sinkers from. will tire shops just give u tire wieghts or do u buy em . can a battery be safely used. is it easier to get at a scrap yard maybe. or do i just buy lead ingots.
    thanks ,chris

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    there are a lot of places to look for lead.tire shops are geting where they want to sale then unless you have a good repore with them.junk yards are good but the last i bought cost 40 cents a lb.and thats been a while.a real good place is a plumber.if you have a friend thats a plumber or if you have a friend that works for one you can get it for nothing or at least you can get it for what the salvasge yards are paying for it.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    tire weight i know it is crazy but watch on off ramps big trucks lose lots of weight ther and wal mart dost care how they put them on .and the junk yard

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    just curious what plumbers use lead for?

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Johnnies got the right idea thats what i do go to tire shops and get their old tire weights. Some of them are onto what we do with them now and may charge you for them. But its still cheaper.

6. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I recently purchased a lot lead sheets from a recycling center

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Several years ago, I could buy a 5-gallon bucket of wheel weights at a tire shop for $15. Not only could I not find a tire shop that would give me the weights, but most shops wouldn't even sell them to me. Now, the shops where I used to be able to buy them won't sell them to me either. Don't know how well it will work, but I put a free ad in the paper that I would swap frozen skipjack for lead or wheel weights. I've been trying to think what a fair exchange rate would be. I'd like some opinions. Do you think that the rate of 7# of lead or 10# of wheel weights for each pound of skipjack sounds fair? If not, what does sound fair to you? Frozen skipjack is selling for about $2.50 a pound here, when it's available. :0a36:

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I get mine at a recycling yard. I just bought 205 lbs. @ .30 per lb. I would be thrilled to exchange lead for Skippies, but I am a little concerned with shipping costs. I guess since I've never used them and other bait is so plentiful, I just don't know how valuable Skipjack is. :crazy:

9. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you would be suprised what a six pack of beer will do for you at a tire shop!!The last time I went to the tire shop with a six pack the guy helped me load my truck with his forklift. smokey

10. conalj3

conalj3 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Another possability is a local roofing guy. The vent stacks almost always have about 5 lbs of lead sheeting around them. The idea of batteries is not a good one as the problem of the acid content will raise he#2 with the melting pot and molds:wink:

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One other place to check is a shooting range - all those bollets add up! The papper scraps burn out and the copper flaots on the molten lead.

Oh, by the way, plumbers use lead (or at least they used to - now it's all plastic) in drain pipe junctions and such.

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Stay away from batteries.

Your average car battery does not really have that much lead metal in it. Most of the lead that is in a battery is in the form of lead sulfide paste that coats the plates. This is really nasty stuff that is soaked in acid and takes alot to actually get lead metal from.

(I spent two summers at a huge battery recycling plant and am fairly familiar with the process of recycling a typical lead-acid car battery)

Your best bet is probably tire shops unless you can find someone that works tearing down large industrial batteries where you can get alot of lead from the connectors.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  14. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    well I am really lucky with the lead. I work at a public water system, and believe it or not they use to use lead for the first few feet off of the main line on a service tap. So when these old pieces of lead start leaking we have to take them out. Sometimes it may be 2' of 3/4 inch pipe or it could be 6 ft of 1" pipe, and you cant imagine it is pretty heavy, so I have all i can ever use, and get it out of the ground on a regular basis. So if youre public water system has been around for quite awhile, you may want to check with them.

15. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I built a bonfire to burn out 4 batteries. Ended up with about 2 lbs of lead, not worth the time. I can get a 1.00 for used batteries without trading them in a the local battery dealer.

I'm thinking about selling some of my lead. Packing it in a small box, about 20 to 25 lbs. Carry it to the post office and see what it weights. Sell it for 1.00 pre lb plus shipping.

16. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went to a local scrap yard here a few weeks back and the place quoted me .74 cents a pound. I thought that was high and still do. I won't be buying it for that but if you buy them from a big outdoor store the weights sell for about .74 cents an once!
    If you know someone in the remodling feild ask them to look out for old ceramic tile shower pans. They are usually no less than 50lbs and are pure lead. Melts easy and pours great.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep here the tire shops give me all i can carry for a case of beer. after changing those filthy tires all day that beer sounds good to them.

18. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I can get lead at the scrap yards around here for .35 a lb which is cheap for making sinkers.

19. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    70ish cents per pound is really not that bad right now since refined lead is at around 1.50 per pound right now.