Where to find lead for sinker molds?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by fullstringer, Jul 12, 2006.

1. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys, I was just wandering where you find your scrap lead for your sinker molds? I would like to start casting my own no roll sinkers but need to know where to find lead before I buy the molds.

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't about in Indiana but around here tire shops have them because of the lead of tires. But this take more work than normal lead because there are others products in it just gotta keep scooping. If you can find a lead jacket from like a dentist office when they throw it over you and take a pic of your teath. That stuff is usually pretty pure.

Sometime the easiest way is to go with shot.

Josh

3. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    Like gone fishin said......I get most of mine from tire shops..........if you know a sheetrocker, or a demo guy, sometimes they have leadlined sheetrock used in hospitals and doctors offices.......keep your eyes out for any construction or demolition going on in your area for these types of buildings.
    good luck

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Also if you know a plumber a lot of the old sewer lines they replace are lead. Also around here you can buy it at the metal and iron places that buy old metal like aluminum cans - copper old cars etc...

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    like josh said i get mine ffrom the tier shop. i dont melt them though,i just smash an end a drill a hole in it and use like that. they stay put real good for me.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The lead from wheel balancing weights are not that pure but you can pick up a lot of free lead. I buy mine from a local scrap metal yard in small ingots. It may take a few phone calls, but there should be a metal supply source nearby. I also picked some up from a body shop that still uses lead for filler (talk about old school). Look for autobody suppliers as their lead is really pure also.

7. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    got 2 buckets of wheel weights & not enough time to melt them down. Now RiverScum just flattens one end and drills a small hole. Works real well.

8. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the info guys, that really helps but actually I was talking to a guy at work about this same issue and he volunteered that he had over 100# in old lead waterline and pipe so he is going to give me as much as I need. So the new sinker molds are on there way. Thanks everybody!

9. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just buy mine from the scrap metal yard its like 10.00 for 25#'s and its pure the only problem is its a huge block and u have to use a saw to cut it down to size for your pot.

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a construction worker and get mine from demo and such as cherokee laker said. I got around 400lbs so i should be set for a few years. lol

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One more idea - try an indoor shooting range. They sweep up lots and lots of lead off the floors every night.