Where to find flathead catfish and what to use for bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by lnghr22, Jul 17, 2006.

1. lnghr22

lnghr22 New Member

State:
    Texas
    hi i live in texas and fish mostly in lakes and i was wonderin where the big flatheads like to live........... drop offs, logs, fallen timber, or what, i dont know much im only 13 years old will some1 please help and also wanted to know what kind of bait to use in my situation

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Flatheads live and feed in all the places you posted. Also rocky points ,rip rap and creek channels. Standing trees in coves can be good .One of my best spots in a lake here is beside the summing beach . I use live gills and shad for bait , bullheads are good also.

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Like Dale said, any of the places you mentioned.. Use any live baitfish or fish, 6 inches or smaller.. And hang on...

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Also, keep in mind that during the summer months flatties are often caught in the shallows as well. I never realized this until someone mentioned it in one of the numerous threads posted about my favorite catfish. Look around in the Flathead catfish section. There is wealth of knowledge there that has helped me to be a better catfishermen! Good luck!

5. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Try to get your bait from the same places you fish. Im a firm believer that you should fish with whats natural to the cats where you're fishin.

6. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Make sure you check to see whats legal to use for bait in your state as far as live bait goes. Fish around cover in the evenings and you should have one in no time! Good luck!