Where to find em?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bubbatn, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hi guys, Haven't posted in awhile, but i'm in the mood to catch me some nice cats. I am kinda new to figuring out catfish, but was just wondering if there were any certain type areas to try and find some nice cats this time of year. The water temps on the lake I fish right now are low 50's. I know summer-time is usually "prime" for catfish, so I don't really know what they do this time of year, or if they're pretty well the same as always, or what? Just wondering if I could get any tips on anything that may help me find em'? Thanks guys.

2. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Hi Dustin. Welcome to the BOC. Can you narrow down your question a little? What kind of cats are there in your lake? Describe your lake. Is it dark or clear? flat botttom or lots of death changes? Any streams or rivers flowing into It? What's your most abundent prey species? When I go after Channels in cool water I look for water that is a few degrees warmer and which lies near the mouth of a tributary. I've also seen a post about fishing any freshly flooded area, but I haven't tried that yet. Still waiting for the ice to leave.

3. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee

We've got channel cats, blues, and flatheads all. Its a pretty clear lake most of the time. And the area of the lake I fish there is a river that runs in at the head of it....but its a large lake(30+k acres) so there are alot of options as far as depths and structure. I would say shad are the most preyed upon species, although we do have bluegills as well...but shad are everywhere.

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would spend a little time where the water flows into the lake especially after a good rain ,cats will hold and feed in this type of area.

5. Bubbatn

Bubbatn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the tips guys.

What about depths this time of year? Are they more than likely gonna be deeper(20-30ft) or up in more shallow water, or are there any certain way to pattern them?