Where to find bowfin

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catman529, Mar 8, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I find those fish very interesting and I have read about how awesome their fight is. I fish the Harpeth river all the time and I don't think there are bowfin in there. Does anyone know where the nearest place is to catch bowfin? Thanks in advance.

Tight lines

Catman

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee

3. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
  4. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Find smaller parts of the river late in the afternoon works good for me.youse a number 4 treblehookon a good leader .make a carolina rig put a peace of fresh fish cast it five to ten feet from the shore. good luck

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I do not your area but I tend to catch bowfin in backwaters

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught a bunch of big bowfin at Reelfoot Lake in NW Tennessee while floating minnows for crappie and fishing cutbait on the bottom for cats.

7. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I was fishing with my uncle on the Ohio R. and he caught one about two foot long at that time we didnt know what it was, we thought it looked like a catfish with a frogs head. Later on we found out what it was from a family member thats a taxadermist, he actualy had three or four of them mounted, he said quite a few people had been catching them, but that was the last one either one of us ever saw a live one.

8. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i haven't fished for Bowfins in years I usually go back home to Ga where i know they are plentiful I usually catch 15 to 20 of them they are great fighters as well as good eatin. have been eating them since i was little. I usually use minnows or cut blue gills you have ot bleed the fish cut them in the middle of the tail fin and let them bleed

9. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Gosh guys we have blowfins (MudFish) down here also, we treat them as trash fish. Not very many people eats them down here.:crazy:
    We plant them in the garden., or use them crab traps.
    Have a great day.
    Walter

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You will find them in back water in (creeks in swamps) they can live in water no other fish can live in for they can breath out of the water best baits minnows crawfish or worms

11. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    The bowfin is the last living member of its order. Not only does it have gills, but lungs also. Please respect it as you would any other fish. Eat it or let it go. Don't kill it for the fun of it cause you have been taught it is a trash fish.

What defines a "trash fish" anyway?

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am with you - I don't kill off fish because they are so-called "trash fish." Rough fish usually are fun to catch and have great fights. I usually let them go, unless they are seriously throat-hooked and need to be put out of misery. I'm talking about gar here, but bowfin fit into the same category. Thanks for your post and tight lines

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I agree with you guys. Bowfin are awesome fighters, and more 'game' than many gamefish.

14. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Mud Fish are a pain in the rear down here, we have so many of them. I have planted a few in the garden, sweet taters and maters like them.The attach file shows one caught off our dock.:cool2:
    Have a great weekend.
    Walter