Where to find blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 7, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    can blues be caught on the bank on the missisipie or must u have a boat if so pleas tell i live in illinois and would like to fish around alton on the bank

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    blues can and a regularly caught from the bank. i fish just south of you (chain of rocks) and we catch blues frequently.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes, they can be caught from the bank. As with a boat, location is everything. Some places are better than others.

One of the hardest parts in bank fishing in todays world is access to different shoreline. Also, knowing what the structure is like within your casting range takes some work.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how far out must you cast

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Willie, all of that will depend on the conditions and the offshore structure. In many conditions, especially at night if fish are feeding shallow on bait fish near the bank. you will be better casting up and down the bank in 1-3 feet of water than trying to sling baits out deep. As a kid fishing on the bank I always thought the fish were waaaay out there and would cast as far as possible. Now that I have a boat I have learned that the fish are many times right on the bank feeding.

I don't know how many times I have seen people on good points casting out to where I would anchor the boat and be casting back to water 10 feet from them!!!