Where to find big active river flathead catfish now

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mcseal2, Aug 2, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    In the last couple years, since I have started fishing larger rivers more than the feeder streams, my fishing always seems slow after the spawn. I am usually able to catch some nice flats through the middle of July then I have a slow period before fall. I think the fish here are done spawning and should be starting to feed more actively again. In the smaller creeks I fished I seemed to do well this time of year by fishing the holes with the most cover, moderate depth, and enough current to keep the water from becoming stagnant, often below a riffle. I am trying the same thing on the river I fish which is mostly shallow but has a 2-12 foot channel in most places with some larger holes and logjams. I don't seem to be hooking up on much other than gar and turtles. I am fishing behind current breaks below the riffle areas that should make good ambush sites for a flathead. With the success I've had in the past and what some of the other posts are currently showing I am wondering if many fish aren't still in the tributaries and not yet back into the main river holes. The water levels are low enough, and flow stagnant enough that I thought most fish would be wanting to return to bigger water if they were able. Looks like I may be wrong again. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to target the mature flathead now. Thanks!

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d try the mouths where some of them feeder creeks empty into the larger one.Usually I,m doing all my fishing in deep holes and below dams right now,but we,ve had a record cold July here in western Pa.Seems to be throwing everything back a month.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    not sure what you're wheather has been like but ours is still pretty cool here and there's still being fish caught with eggs so perhaps you're also experiencing a longer spawn like a few other I've heard about as well:confused2:

4. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    Heath,

im not sure about your weather, but here in NC its rained for almost a week straight and we just had our second straight day of sunshine here. our water levels are way up more then usuall and im sure fish are spawning because im seeing more and more around the shallows and near logs and cover, thats exactly where we fished this afternoon, and we deff seen results! the fish are really agressive rite now during the spawn here in nc, i would deff try to target the shallows with plenty of cover, i also never fish the shade and have always had good luck. hope this helps

5. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was having the same problem but I switched to fishing shallow water right next to log jams and was able to produce fish. I still think its in the late spawning stage? But channel cats are done it seems like, back to a healthy looking size as compared to the 2 flats I caught last night, the flats seemed very skinny and didn't fight very hard. So I'm just thinking its the late stage. I'm gonna give it another shot in a few weeks and see how it works out. But just stick to shallows by log jams for now. That seems to be working for me right now.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have been having the best luck in the shallows in about 2-4 feet of water.

7. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just cleaned 4 flats this weekend and they all had eggs.Spawn here in Ky still going.

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I don't think the spawn is over here in Il either. I cleaned a 9lbr. that still had eggs in her last week:sad2:. I've been fishing the channelized section of the river down here the past few weekends, which is three times as wide and alot deeper than the section I usually fish. I've been putting a live bait out to the side on the flats in 5-10 feet of water and have been scratching off 2 or 3 every time, along with the 10 or 15 channels and blues we are targeting with cutbait. They have not been real big though, biggest was 12 lbs. I think maybe the bulk of the big males are still holed up. It's also been unseasonably cool here too, might have something to do with it.:confused2: GOOD LUCK and KEEP AT EM'!:wink:

Attached Files:

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Feeder creeks an the shallow currents have been excellent for me right now.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Near the trees and timber both underwater and sticking out the surface. Flats love structure. :wink:

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Nice flatties bro! Deserves REPS.:wink:

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Heath, you seem to be working hard to find the fish. I usually think location is 95% and from things you have said, you seem to agree. Sometimes though, I think other things interfere and when I was out Saturday, I noticed the moon wouldn't go down till real early in the AM.

In the bright summer sun, I haven't had much luck in shallow water before midnight. You probably know better than me.

In the middle of August, things always seem to pickup. If you feel real defeated, you can always ask the setliners how things are goin. :angry:

13. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    My fishing always seems to pick up again in late August too, I just don't like having a big lull now so I thought I'd ask questions and see if I was missing anything. I have been trying all the spots mentioned, but I may be fishing to deep if anything. Next trip I will try to get a bait out in less than 5ft for sure and see if that rod hooks up. I may be concentrating to hard on the cover in 5-10ft and not in the adjacent feeding areas. Thanks for all the good tips so far.